Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know the G is a little on the heavy side. What can we get rid of to lower it? I know the leather seats is one thing and new rims but what else?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Unless you pay a fairly decent amount for new wheels, and stay with a smaller wheel (17" and below), generally you are going to add more weight to the car.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
You can reduce a lot of weight by doing lots of crazy stuff to your car like stripping your interior, changing your seats or start ripping sheetmetal out of your car...

The G20 will always be heavy though...for it's weight/power ratio. Infiniti builds it as a luxury car ... your power windows/mirrors/sunroff whatever else.. I don' t think there's any real way to get rid of those while keeping your car a G20.

All I can really think of to lighten your car is carbon fiber hood, *might as well move your battery to the back too, to balance your car*, change your seats, and if you've got lots of money, replace your glass with Lexan or something...

why're our cars so heavy....... -_-

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
A few simple things to start off.
- Lighter battery
- there might be a bar in the front bumper (like on the P10) you can remove.
- Take out the floormats, spare and jack (umm.. if you feel safe driving around without them).
- carbon fiber body parts (expensive)

Then you could do this stuff too, but you'd also lose the niceness of your car. :bored:
- Take out wind shield washer fluid and resevior.
- take out the radio, speakers, and wiring.
- take out power steering
- take out the A/C system
- take out all the sound deadening material and tar (it'll get quite a bit louder inside)
- take out the seats, door panels, etc.. (look ugly inside)

and there is more but it's a a cost... if you go this far, reply again and i can help you out with more, if you are really that serious. but by then you'd probalby want a roll cage, as it would be a race car.

·
Registered
116 Posts
For those unfortunate ones who live in third world countries, carben fiber is out of the question, although I was thinking of a fiberglass hood and froont fenders. Could this be done.

I really want the hood as i intend on cutting some breathers in it to keep engine temperature low (heats op with the headers more than before)

?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Sure, but it'd probably all have to be custom made. Unless fiberglass-work is your hobby, I think that it'd cost about as much as carbon fiber.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Alright justin, removing floormats??? that is RICE!! oh yeah 1 pound = 5hp!!!! haha there was a kid at speedworld that booted his girlfriend outta the car cause he wanted to save weight!!!! So this hottie got a few rides in Dougs cobra, untell the boyfriend found out and got pissed!! hehe

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Oh yeah, I'm sure Justin forgot to mention of course: take a shit before each run, don't drink water before racing, and drive naked.

Hmm I was just wondering: do you think car makers design F/R and L/R weight distributions to compensate for just the driver, or for passengers as well? I saw in Option2, they were featuring a car that had the car balanced perfectly 50/50 F/R, 50/50 L/R, but I'm sure that balance was upset as soon as someone would actually sit in the car. Do car manufacturers think about all this?

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
In response to taking a sh*t before recing I've heard it called a "Race Donkey" and I think that term would be much better suited for this forum, as the other word may offend people =) Yeah, a bottle of ex-lax, or however you spell that, is your best friend before a race, don't drink water, starve yourself for like a week prior. Fill your tires with helium and also put a BIG helium ballon in the trunk of your car, or maybe in place of the back seat too, it'll make your car seem lighter. I also like to shave all my hair off my body before racing too, this helps the keep the air resistance down when I turn my heater on to cool off teh car. It lets the air pass out of the vents more freely and saves a couple hp. (Hopefully this gives you an idea of how serious this should be taken) :monkey:

If you're looking for that much weight savings this definitely isn't a street car, and if you're building this serious of a race car you probalby also already know what you're going to sacrifice to drop those couple extra lbs. My advice.... make lettuce your best friend and forget about the car. :p
P.S. If anyone really is making a race car, or decides they just have to lose all comforts on there street car to drop that extra weight, i'll be more than happy to go over everything (I know) with you, and point you in the direction of others who know more than I do on this topic.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Gman CR said:

I really want the hood as i intend on cutting some breathers in it to keep engine temperature low (heats op with the headers more than before)

?

You know, wrapping your headers in heat tape will cut that down alot.

·
Registered
117 Posts
sorry to dig out an old thread, but i got wrench happy today and started pulling crap out of the G20. this is just todays work:

- possibly every single thing you can pull from the trunk, floor, sides, trunk lid lining (not the trunk lid) and all.

- back seats, stabilizing bar behind seat.

- rear passenger seat belts, bolts were nice and tight, good to know nissan is looking out for me. the shoulder harness spool things were sort of a pain to get out.

with a near empty tank, the g20 now looks ready for some baja. where are my springs :p

i vacuumed all the crap that had accumulated over the years and scrubbed it all down, so it doesnt look that bad. it just looks...gutted. the door panels, dash, and front seats stay, although i'd like to find some lighter cloth seats to throw in there.
also, i'm toying with the idea of removing the carpet.

before i get flamed for ruining the "luxury factor" of my G, i'll just say this: I'm not trying to look good in my G, or pimp or whatever, its just that im a real minimalist and all i want to do is go faster :)

ANYHOW, justin, if you get this, what else can i look rip out without suffering driveability?

i took her for a spin after removing the above, she seemed a little quicker, but i can't be sure until i get a functional clutch in there, heh.

·
Registered
562 Posts
You should go on a diet! I had a weight problem but I lost about 30 pounds in a couple months. You just have to stay away from fatty foods. Try slim fast! Having a weight problem is dangerous for your health too.

P.S. I'm just kiddin'

·
Registered
616 Posts
cad455 said:
before i get flamed for ruining the "luxury factor" of my G, i'll just say this: I'm not trying to look good in my G, or pimp or whatever, its just that im a real minimalist and all i want to do is go faster :)
Hey, do what makes you happy, but if speed is all you want, I think you own the wrong car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
there is a ssc article on how to make you ride faster without spending any money. they tear down a nissan sentra to the bones. it's funny.

·
Registered
117 Posts
that article was very ridiculous and enjoyable. question is, i wonder what they are going to do with that sentra. they tore/hacked/ripped a good bit of the car up. it doesnt really seem like a serious tech article, just more of a comic relief. perhaps i should change my name to Mr. To Race.

seriously tho. what do they plan to do with that thing?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
They're probably gonna just race it. Hahaha, I was crackin' up when I saw the overlay across from the table of contents. Guess what wallpaper is on my desktop now....

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
I think that car was a pre-production model that is going to be distroyed anyways, or something like that. They wouldn't have destroyed a perfectly good car (i wouldn't think so at least)...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts