Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as some of you may remember I had to take out my intake manifold, plenum, air throttle body, just about everything. So it's been back together for about a week now and running perfectly. Yesterday I was getting onto the beltway an I was in first gear, hit 5-6000 rpm and then the engine stumbled and died out. So im gliding at 40mph in traffic going 60. pulled over and tried to turn engine on, starter worked, engine wouldn't turn over. I checked the fuses and checked my connections but engine wouldn't start. Called Geico and had a tow truck called. while I was waiting by the shoulder I tried to start the car again. Car started and seemed to idle fine, went to give it gas and it stumbled around 5,000 rpm again. I eased off and tried again , revved up to 3,000 rpm and then the engine died. I though it was the fuel pump not having enough pressure, it was changed back in July when the original crapped out and I still had the 1 year warranty on it. So got my car towed home and today in the morning took out the old one and put a new (free) one in. Once I got the new part in went to crank it over and same dang problem. I know it's my fault for not checking with a pressure gauge the fuel lines. So I go back and look under the hood at all the connections that I must have gone through, well checked the fuel rail, injectors, tps, then I notice this one sensor by the ignition coil, near the distributor. The connector is half on half off. push it in all the way and went to crank the car, runs perfectly. Not quite sure what the sensor is, maybe crankshaft position sensor or something, so if anybody has a similar problem Id suggest you take a close look at this sensor. I felt like an ass wasted 2.5 hours switching fuel pumps (including having to exchange it at the store) and the solution took 1 second to fix. The clip that held the connector in place was broken so vibration wiggled the connector loose. A zip tie is now securing it in place... oh well at least I have a new fuel pump in there. Thanks for listening to me blow off hot air.

·
Registered
973 Posts
gomd3 said:
So as some of you may remember I had to take out my intake manifold, plenum, air throttle body, just about everything. So it's been back together for about a week now and running perfectly. Yesterday I was getting onto the beltway an I was in first gear, hit 5-6000 rpm and then the engine stumbled and died out. So im gliding at 40mph in traffic going 60. pulled over and tried to turn engine on, starter worked, engine wouldn't turn over. I checked the fuses and checked my connections but engine wouldn't start. Called Geico and had a tow truck called. while I was waiting by the shoulder I tried to start the car again. Car started and seemed to idle fine, went to give it gas and it stumbled around 5,000 rpm again. I eased off and tried again , revved up to 3,000 rpm and then the engine died. I though it was the fuel pump not having enough pressure, it was changed back in July when the original crapped out and I still had the 1 year warranty on it. So got my car towed home and today in the morning took out the old one and put a new (free) one in. Once I got the new part in went to crank it over and same dang problem. I know it's my fault for not checking with a pressure gauge the fuel lines. So I go back and look under the hood at all the connections that I must have gone through, well checked the fuel rail, injectors, tps, then I notice this one sensor by the ignition coil, near the distributor. The connector is half on half off. push it in all the way and went to crank the car, runs perfectly. Not quite sure what the sensor is, maybe crankshaft position sensor or something, so if anybody has a similar problem Id suggest you take a close look at this sensor. I felt like an ass wasted 2.5 hours switching fuel pumps (including having to exchange it at the store) and the solution took 1 second to fix. The clip that held the connector in place was broken so vibration wiggled the connector loose. A zip tie is now securing it in place... oh well at least I have a new fuel pump in there. Thanks for listening to me blow off hot air.
If this happened on the outer loop, you would have been ok. The inner loop causes unusual damage to G20's. :alien:

The mixing bowl can completely destroy a G20. :asian:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
wow. it seems like im not the only one with that kind of luck. sometimes i will go through a whole bunch of work and then realize it was something obvious.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, I was on the outer loop I was afraid of getting rear ended by stupid people ridding the shoulder, I was right off an on ramp... stupid sensor....

·
Registered
973 Posts
gomd3 said:
yeah, I was on the outer loop I was afraid of getting rear ended by stupid people ridding the shoulder, I was right off an on ramp... stupid sensor....
I have been in your shoes. I remember when I lived in Florida, my driveshaft broke in the middle of the highway and everyone was gawking at me. Wouldn't let me get over. An entire family with kids. I had to motion them to get over. :-\

1 - 5 of 5 Posts