Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright well,

I know there are a million "tick" threads, and Im pretty sure I have read them all. When I drive I have a loud ticking that sounds like it's coming from up front, but I only get the noise when I'm accelerating and the motor is under load. If I just rev the motor up slowly to around 3-4k in neutral, it doesn't really tick... But if I'm accelerating at a decent / normal rate it ticks like hell.

The sound is not as bad when the engine is up to running temp, but it is still there.

I took it into a mechanic and they could not find a problem with it, they said take it to a auto sparky as its most likely a sensor thats putting the timing out, So I took it to a sparky today. They did all the usual checks and cant find any faults.

Also tbe rattley tick sound goes away after 3500rpm. Car is a sr20ve powered p10.

So im a little bit stuck, will take to a few more workshops tomorrow, But does anyone have any ideas on what causing the problem

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Same problem with my 100k mile de engine. I thought it was my timing chain at first, tore my entire motor apart in the car and replaced the chain/guides/tensioner. I still had the noise.

I've narrowed the tick down to the lifters at this point. I'm going to pull my cams this weekend and I'm going to replace my de lifters with rr lifters. I'm pretty sure ve lifters are different a d not interchangeable with the de/rr. If the car hasn't been running long with the noise it may be worth servicing your current lifters and bleeding them then reinstalling.

http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread...ifter-service-flushing-and-bleeding-explained

I recently put up a video on how to service the hydraulic lifters, it's pretty straight forward and is worth trying before you dump money into parts, or worse, damage one of your lifters/rockers.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
(on the video you posted specifically) That is without a doubt rod knock. And if you get closer to the bottom of the motor of that car, it will sound like the noise is coming from under the oil pan, or around the block itself. Not hard to fix, just time consuming because on an sr20 motor you will need to pull both the lower and upper pan, as well as baffles, and main support to access the rod bearings.

Valve train noise on an sr20 engine sounds less like a "knock" and more like a high frequency of "taps" coming from underneath the valve cover. The timing chain and guides can also be a source of valvetrain related noise and can often be fixed by removing the chain guide on top of the cylinder head completely or changing out the tensioner. The guide on the top is held in by 2 bolts, and can be removed completely without harming the motor. Another "cost-effective" symptom to look into first.

As far as your accessories making noise, have the mechanics or you pull off the belts and spin the pulleys with your hands, and shake them back and forth for excessive play. You should be able to determine accessory bearing wear pretty easily when the belts are off. I'm assuming the mechanics you took the car to did not do this.

If you can get a video or a sound clip of your car, it would really help. Otherwise the next guess on here is just as good as everything I've pointed out so far.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it was rod knock, would it make the sound only under certain rpm's im really only getting it between 1500-2500 rpm and only when its under load. Once the car is fully up to temp its very hard to hear.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Depends upon the condition of the bearing when it is knock. I spun a rod bearing on a car before, and you typically hear it through all rpms, and in most cases it gets louder as rpms increase. Find someone with a camera/video phone and upload so we can hear it.

Otherwise nobody can give you any better advise than the mechanics you took the car to.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Had the same thing on my ve before I rebuilt it. My de is doing it a lot. Mine is a higher frequency and more of a tin can sound so I'm sure mine is valve train related. BTW I don't think the ve is a hydraulic lifter valve train.
You can be right, if I assumed that above, and if I'm wrong, I'll take a my bad on that. I'm not too familiar with the ve head so I try to stay away from speaking about specifics. It's full of voodoo and magic!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.