Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed I get this weird shaking in the front end when I take off from the line and shift up to second gear, but once I get past second and into higher RPMS it stops. It doesnt happen every time either. I recently replaced both front axles with brand new ones, and the job was done right so I dont think thats it. I was thinking maybe the clutch is slipping a little at lower rpms, Im not sure how long its been since the clutch has been replaced, the car has 134,000 miles on it. But before I spend the 200 bucks I want to know if anyone has any ideas or similar problems. Ill check under the car tomorrow to see if anythings loose or whatnot. :-\

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think my motor mounts are bad, I want to get the place racing polyurethane ones. If its shaking at a higher speed then its probably the front end alignment. Im getting a new clutch soon also, we'll just see what happens.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
ProjectG20 said:
I've noticed I get this weird shaking in the front end when I take off from the line and shift up to second gear, but once I get past second and into higher RPMS it stops. It doesnt happen every time either. I recently replaced both front axles with brand new ones, and the job was done right so I dont think thats it. I was thinking maybe the clutch is slipping a little at lower rpms, Im not sure how long its been since the clutch has been replaced, the car has 134,000 miles on it. But before I spend the 200 bucks I want to know if anyone has any ideas or similar problems. Ill check under the car tomorrow to see if anythings loose or whatnot. :-\

g20chick said:
I have the same shaking problem from my front end, but it always starts shaking around 65-70 miles an hour and gets worse the faster I go.:( I have no idea what it is or how to fix it. I'm sorry:sleep:

What rpm are you guys starting out at when the shaking occurs?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lower rpms. Like 2-3k mostly. It seems as if the clutch is either not grabbing well or something is wobbling. Im pretty sure its the motor mounts.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
ProjectG20 said:
Lower rpms. Like 2-3k mostly. It seems as if the clutch is either not grabbing well or something is wobbling. Im pretty sure its the motor mounts.

Probably just lugging the engine. Trying to accelerate too hard from low rpm. Sets up a nasty vibration and isn't too good for your engine.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
g20chick said:
I have the same shaking problem from my front end, but it always starts shaking around 65-70 miles an hour and gets worse the faster I go.:( I have no idea what it is or how to fix it. I'm sorry:sleep:

you need to get your tires balanced. You will find out if ur rims are bent or tires are crap. Trust me

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
that high speed shaking is more than likely your allignment

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
GTA_G20 said:

you need to get your tires balanced. You will find out if ur rims are bent or tires are crap. Trust me

tdog551 said:
that high speed shaking is more than likely your allignment

Shaking at high speed is very unlikely to be alignment. It could be from worn suspension components, such as bushings though. More likely it is tire/wheel balance.

There is one other thing it could be......

It's possible to not seat the wheels properly on the hub. What I do is wiggle the wheel a bit as I'm finger tightening the first lug nut. I do the same with teh second and resnug the first if it's loose. Then I install the other lug nuts finger tight. Then I snug them more with a wrench. Finally, after putting the car on the ground, I torque them to spec.

Several people on the SE-R list has taken this advice and corrected a high speed shake in their cars.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, definitely check that first, wheel balance is essential for good tire wear and a smooth ride. It would be better than to spend $65 like I did just to find out the front end alignment is fine :-\

1 - 12 of 12 Posts