Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
If there is any of the bolt sticking out, then heating it up until it is cherry red will work wonders. If broken off flush you might be better off taking it to a shop that can do this. I think the best bits are the titanium coated ones. As previously noted, use oil while drilling to keep the bit cool. If the bit tip gets hot, it will dull quickly.
Start out with small bits and work up to the largest one you need.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Polycrystalline diamond (diamond) > Tungsten carbide (carbide) > Cobalt steel (cobalt)

Diamond is too costly, Carbide can break, and cobalt might not do it easy. Any of those should do it though. [email protected] would know best but I would just say cobalt for its cost effectiveness.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ZoliElo said:
Polycrystalline diamond (diamond) > Tungsten carbide (carbide) > Cobalt steel (cobalt)

Diamond is too costly, Carbide can break, and cobalt might not do it easy. Any of those should do it though. [email protected] would know best but I would just say cobalt for its cost effectiveness.
Thanks for the info! Perhaps I'll start with a carbide one.

Sco0terzsl said:
Honestly, just go to Home Depot and ask the guy in the tool section, they should know. Are you using oil with your drill bits? Oil works wonders with drilling shit out.
I have been using oil and taking reasonably infrequent breaks with the drill to keep it cool too!

jjacob said:
If there is any of the bolt sticking out, then heating it up until it is cherry red will work wonders. If broken off flush you might be better off taking it to a shop that can do this. I think the best bits are the titanium coated ones. As previously noted, use oil while drilling to keep the bit cool. If the bit tip gets hot, it will dull quickly.
Start out with small bits and work up to the largest one you need.
Thanks man, I have been trying the small ones but I just don't seem to be making any headway. After, I heat it up (using a blow torch) then do you drill it out? Is that the strategy.

trbobrk said:
+1

We have this stuff at work called drill chill, it works good.
Hrmm, where can I get this stuff sounds good.

Thanks for all the helpful info guys, I will have to keep at it. Keep the tips coming (haha, even the "keep at it" ones :))

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
well are you going to retap the hole or just screwing out the old bit with a reverse drill. I say the ones you currently have, probably lost their edge, I've used the Dewalt titanium bits, set of 16 for like $30 with great results, used them on aluminum(piece of cake) and steel (needed high speed drill) good luck and keep at it ;P

·
Registered
20,854 Posts
merlin said:
Hrmm, where can I get this stuff sounds good.
It is made by zep, I'm not sure if it is sold retail. You will probabaly find something at the hoe depot that is similar.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Is there any of the bolt sticking out, or did it break off flush? If the bolt is sticking out, I would not drill it out first.
Let me know and I and others may have a different technique for you to use.

·
Registered
973 Posts
gomd3 said:
well are you going to retap the hole or just screwing out the old bit with a reverse drill. I say the ones you currently have, probably lost their edge, I've used the Dewalt titanium bits, set of 16 for like $30 with great results, used them on aluminum(piece of cake) and steel (needed high speed drill) good luck and keep at it ;P
ditto this is what i use

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jjacob said:
Is there any of the bolt sticking out, or did it break off flush? If the bolt is sticking out, I would not drill it out first.
Let me know and I and others may have a different technique for you to use.
Well the bolt (this is actually on a family member's car, not a g20) is the bottom bolt that holds the shock to the car. There is a threaded hole. The bolt goes through the shock and into this threaded hole, and then out the other side. I can see both sides and get reasonable access.

The head snapped off and on one side so that's the side I was trying to drill. The other side is just sticking out (but it's smooth). The bolt is threaded for the most part but the part that is sticking out the otherside is smooth.

I appreciate any ideas/help I can get. My next stop is Home Depot...

I can also take pics if it helps!

THANKS!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Sco0terzsl said:
Honestly, just go to Home Depot and ask the guy in the tool section, they should know. Are you using oil with your drill bits? Oil works wonders with drilling shit out.
I'd be careful with any advice I got from a Home Depot employee. For that matter, any sales person retail or wholesale. Some of them, including some Wal-Mart employees, really know their shit, others don't know any more than you or less. I have more respect for someone who says they don't know or qualifies their advice than someone who says they know and doesn't. I also hate salespeople that try to advise you when you know what you want and don't need help.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I would use a HSS (High speed steel) drill bit. Carbide/Diamond tip(Really a carbide drill with a coating..) will tend to shatter if being used in a hand held drill.

I've never used titanium bits so I have no input on those but I can tell you HSS FTMFGDW. :teeth:

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
MrFancypants said:
When you go to drill it out, make sure you use cutting oil. If not, you run the risk of overheating your drill bit and breaking it. Once that happens you are really screwed because you will have an even harder material to drill out!

- Greg -
This man is correct. I used to work in a machine shop long ago and we used carbide bits in drilling out raw unrefined steel blocks for the steel lab to test. If the carbide bit wasn't oiled properly, went in too fast, or was overused(I.E. dull), it would not hesitate to snap right off and thats with a full-on industrial drill press. Once it breaks off, it DOES NOT come out. Period. You can try and drill the bit out if you want but all you'll do is melt the bit. Also be careful of any stainless that may collide with the bit tip. Stainless steel nearly triples the amount of friction applied to the drill bit so be very careful with that.

If there is ANY doubt, just stop. It'll become a massive headache if a carbide bit breaks in there.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
fantastic, well I was able to make some headway in there. And I kept going and going (lots of time, taking frequent breaks) and using a lot of oil to keep it cool.

So I threw the screw extractor in, got the sucker threaded. And then was applying force to it and PERFECT, the screw extractor breaks in the hole....

Now what....I am really tired of broken bolts....:dead:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
What is the extractor made out of? Carbide? If yes get yourself a center punch (dowel pin remover thing) and a ball peen hammer and proceed to tap the shit out of it and it should shatter into pieces. Vacuum the debris out and start over.

Forgot to mention.. Also use a respirator if its carbide.. you don't want no cancer.

Mike

1 - 20 of 39 Posts