Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
So my question is - what is this plastic box?
I noticed a piece of plastic hanging down from under the back left bumper of my 2001 g20.
It turned out to be a plastic box hanging on by a single plastic tab. The plastic box has a slot for the curved adjacent pipe to sit in and two plastic tabs. One tab is connected to the car fine and another I can put back in place but it's very loose The following picture show the box (arrow) and the 2nd picture shows what I think is a broken plastic tab (arrows show the tab and where it should clip into the car) and the adjacent pipe

uploading files here doesnt seem to work so here are links.
https://imgur.com/ATXiapM
https://imgur.com/oXy8Jhw

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Evap system junk. It is part of the emissions/fuel system.
Thanks for the reply! One of the plastic tabs that holds it in place has broken off and it keeps falling - any ideas what the best way to fix this would be? Is it a cheap part that I should just replace?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That's a good idea. I'll probably end up doing that.
for my education - what would I look up if i was trying to find this part? From what you said I'd assume the evap canister? But this seems to be hollow. I'm reading evap canisters have something in them that absorb and release fuel vapor?

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
Nissan calls that last part the box drain canister. I'm sure it is discontinued, and I doubt parts stores would have it. I wouldn't worry about it.

Evap system; story short long, the fuel tank can't be sealed. Just think about it, as you use up the fuel in tank, the tank would need to get smaller except it is rigid. It is actually made out of steel on the US P11 because cheaper than the roto molded plastic, except they rust from the inside which is fun! Alternatively you could crack a hole in the tank and have the same volume of fuel burnt replaced by air. But the EPA says you can't vent it directly to atmosphere because if you have a hole in the tank you'll let the gas fumes out. Your car would smell like gas when it was parked and you'd hurt the environment or whatever with fuel vapor. And if you parked the car long enough it would all evaporate and you'd have no fuel left. Like a really really long time though.

So they have this charcoal canister which is the big thing underneath the car and a bunch of valves that allow some air to leak in, but not let the fuel vapor out That black box that is falling off is part of the inlet for air, then it goes through the rubber hose with the water separator and then through some valves to the charcoal canister. The water separator thing is because air has water in it unless you live in the desert and if you suck in a bunch of humid air then it condenses in the tank then you have water in the fuel and that is bad juju, one because water is the opposite of fire and two water doesn't squish which is bad for your engine that likes to squish things as part #2 of the 4 part make your engine go program.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great information. Thank you!

The part about rusting out has me worried. This car sat on a driveway for about 6+ years before I got it. I'm pretty certain it had gas in the tank when it was parked. When i got it there was no gas in the tank at all. It did not noticeably smell like gas at any time though. I did have to replace half of the rusted out exhaust system. (will have to replace the other half at some point)
The car does not get as good fuel mileage as it did before the 6 year sleep on the driveway and it takes a lot of effort to get the car over 80mph. (it will not go over 100mph.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts