Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't remember asking this question before, and searching was rather disappointing, so here it goes.

What is this tiny vent behind the steering wheel?

I've seen it in other Nissans, and I always thought it was the thermometer for the automatic climate control.

I was reading the owner's manual the other day and found that this is supposedly the thermometer/thermostat/sensor for the ACC...

I know that this ^ is a sensor, but it seems like it would be in the sun most of the time (yet somehow my ACC works even when that sensor is in full sun - I know it can't be 72 degrees right under the window on the dark colored dash!) Also, since the ACC knows when to switch vents (heater only?) it would seem that two sensors are being used to determine the temperature in different "regions".

·
♥
3,947 Posts
thats the "in-vehicle sensor", the one on the dash is the "sunload sensor". theres an "ambient sensor" in front of the driver side condensor behind the front bumper cover. these all work in conjunction with the auto amplifier.

theres a diagnostic test you can do to check all of these sensors through the a/c control unit. click here

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, thanks. I knew there had to be more than one in-cabin sensor. Now why didn't they enable an outdoor temperature mode? Why put the ambient sensor in the bumper if it really isn't utilized, at least not overtly?

·
♥
3,947 Posts
It detects ambient temperature and converts it into a resistance value which is then input into the auto amplifier.

these sensors, including the intake sensor control quite a few things. auto climate control, blower delay and speed compensation, blower motor voltage, etc.........

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, I had no idea the ACC system was quite that complicated. I just wish they had provided an outside ambient temperature readout somewhere in the cabin - I know it's stupid, and mostly pointless, but for some reason I like having that in a car. I know the diagnostic test allows you to see outside temp - but that's quite a process!

Is there any way the abmient sensor could be 'tapped' into to get a readout from it - like on a different LCD? Just wondering.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
OK, I know this is off subject.
What is that round tool that looks like a tear drop for?
I think it's a tow hook but I don't see any entry points for it
and the service manual doesn't mention it.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
hmm so that sensor on the dash under the window is used for the ACC? interesting, i never realised that. my car doesn't have it but my g/f car does.

not to stray off topic but considering this is about what/how things work. do the 2000 G20t has auto lights or no (as in you keep them on but they will be off when it sunny and turn on when it dark?) that is what i originally thought that sensor ontop of the dash was for, but noticed her lights dont seem to turn off (but i wasn;t really paying much attention

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I just know the Canadian cars have the DRL, weather the other have the hardware prewired or not I don't know. As far as the auto lights, that's a negative.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts