Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay now that i have tyour attention i have a 96 g20 that i purchase about 3 weeks ago which has 127,000 miles on it

since ive bought the car ive had problems with it and now its sitting at the infinti dealership with more problems and im trying to figure out if i should ditch the car and donate it to charity or should i just get it fixed hears the run down

Expenses so far

Car-$2300
Cv Joints-$400
Oil Pressure switch $115
Brake light switch $75
Evaluation $50
battery $100
Intake $150
Oil change $25
Thats so far 1000 in repairs on top of the 2300 i payed for the car

I need to get new(with estiamted cost)

Motor Mounts 650
Transmission Resitor 100
Knock Sensor 200
Some gasket to make oil stop leaking 100
Tune up 350
and a wheel alignment 100

So basically another gradual 1500 bills needs to be spent what should i do keep it or ditch it ?? by the way im in new jersey if that helps leave me your opinions

·
Questioning Answers
6,853 Posts
1st) get it ouutta the stealership (if ur no way shape or form a mechanic, leave it there for the motor mounts)
2)u shoold be able to fix all that stuff ur self & save a $hit load of money

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
true true. the dealership will just steal your money. just get them to do the alignment and motor mounts. you can do the rest yourself. if you dotn knwo how to do any of that im sure there are some forum members that would be more than glad to help you out. you could save at least a grand doing it yourself.

·
no rainguard clips...FML
4,132 Posts
^^ not even. motor mounts are extremely easy given the basic tools and time. battery you can buy yourself, valve cover gasket (im assuming thats the "gasket to make oil stop leaking) cause its common, but very cheap and easy to fix as well.

wheel alignment you can get an independent shop do for ~60. since youre in jersey....get the jersey g's to help you out! there are a TON of them! and more then simple tune ups, im sure they can lend a hand with everything!

btw parts can be had cheaper from www.everythingg20.com

yes its dealership run and all OEM!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
dude those prices are way too high!....

Dealerships FTL! go to the cheap mechanics for the labor, and you find and buy the parts... they'll take care of ya :)

i just paid 64 bucks for my knock sensor in ebay!

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Sorry, but you are getting ripped off on labor. WTF was wrong with your intake that it had to be replaced? Or did you get an aftermarket one put on? I still have the original, non-repaired intake on my car.

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
everythingg20.com for most parts is the best way. then find a small shop to do the work. i frieking paid 300 for motor moutns the dealer wanted to charge upwards of 700

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Ya half that shit you could fix yourself? $300 for a tune up??? I paid $70 for all my tune up stuff, including a valve cover gasket. Do it yourself and save the money.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Unfortunately $300 for a tuneup is a pretty standard mechanic's charge. I paid about that for one on my Subaru in February or March. I wasn't very experienced with mechanical stuff at that point and was scared to get my hands dirty on my sole source of transportation. Turns out I shouldn't have been so scared -- changing my axle was way harder than a tuneup would have been, and it was still manageable.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Well that's the thing, if you do it yourself not only do you save a lot of money but you learn A LOT about your car.

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
Jebers the dealers charge £90 ($177 us) round my way for a (Motor) oil & filter change :(

Not that I ever go to em for such things :beard:

·
Registered
656 Posts
J..M said:
Jebers the dealers charge £90 ($177 us) round my way for a (Motor) oil & filter change :(

Not that I ever go to em for such things :beard:

Sweet crap! Are your filters made of solid gold or something!

For our noob, ditch the dealership - do it yourself. I was in the same predicament as you were about 1 year ago. No experience with cars and lots of repairs to do. Then I found these guys...... I must of saved $2k by now and my car is running like a champ!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I learned not too long ago. Mostly by reading the forums. Doing it yourself with help from the guys here. Along with some excellent write-ups is the best thing to do. Struggle to learn it once and you'll always have that knowledge. At least for the basic stuff. Be bold,,,at least attempt.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
where are u located? i could help ya with a lot of that stuff cause the dealership is killing you! btw which dealership is this?

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
ej_up_late said:
Sweet crap! Are your filters made of solid gold or something!
Well its just plain odd ........... Motor consubles here in the good ole U of K are silly expensive ............

Motor oil (Walmart/Asda Brand) 20W50 (Ok useless but still) £3.99 a 5 Litre (Just over a US gallon)

Castrol GTX 10W40 bout £15 a 5 Litre

Now for somthing worth having ...... Like Mobil 1 £12/£14 a litre

Amsoil if freakin' Ridiculous too :( £12 a US Quart & the Filters are £15/£17 a pop

Bad news is ..... If your a Amsoil user (I am) Theres no where local that sells it ...... So its mail order :scream: ...... Oil ain't exactly light ...... So that costs a bomb too :depressed

If your as tight as a ducks arse & a bit clever you can pick up Nissan Oil, filter, & a "O" ring for about £19/£20....... Sucks to be me huh :beard:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
thanks for all your comments and help..the dealership wants to charge me $623 for me to have my motor mounts done..i think imma listen to you guys and go find me somewhere else to go

...imma start calling around tommorow as far as finding other places to do my motor mounts... i dont think gettin the resistor is needed cause manily my problem was coming out of a parking spot to fast tourque my engine and cracked my mounts..(lesson learned) with that being said ill just get the mounts done...so i know i need to stay under the 600 dollar bridge..you guys helped a bunch and ill get the valve gasket next..a tune up can wait a couple of weeks

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
You should take advantage of some of the offers for help. Where basically all automotive places are going to kill you is the labor. Much cheaper to buy guys on here a couple of beers (to be drunk after the work is done, of course :) ) and help them out with the work. (And helping out can be as simple as "hold this while I torque the bolts that attach it to something else." You don't have to be a mechanical whiz to lend a hand.)

I replaced the engine in my car -- I probably would have paid as much as I spent on parts in labor, and the mechanic I used to take my cars to would have probably dinged me pretty good on parts too. I am broke now, but at least I'm not heavily in debt. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well heres whats going down...im prolly gonna go to minike to get my mounts done..there gonna charge me 2 hours of labor at $78 dollars an hour...and there gonna get the mounts because i want it to all stay under there gaurantee.. i would of ordered them from everythingg20 but its all good

so i think i shouldnt be paying no more than....

450 for the mounts installed?

on the other hand when i had my problem infiniti charged me for an hour diagnostic charge which was 100 bucks...thats the bad the good is they will apply that diagnostic charge to whatever i get fixed so im gonna get my resitor and my valve cover gasket and my o rings done at infiniti for like...175 so it all worked out sorta...im quite sure i could probably pinch pennies even more if i wanted too.. so at the end of the day i should stay under 650 in total but well see whats up

thats like 350 in parts
and 250-300 in labor...? give me more suggestions

1 - 20 of 26 Posts