Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright people i just got introduced to something new the other day. A pop charger, supposedly Stillen and JWT make them and they're good for 7 hp and they're different from cold air intakes. Can someone please clarify this for me in lamens terms. Thanks
nick

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
POP chargers are made by JimWolfTech only. It stans for "performance optimized program" or something like that, and it's basically a conical air filter that you would stick on the end of a short ram air intake or maybe if you're lucky, at the end of a Hotshot CAI. Stillen makes a "me too" look-alike product, but it does pretty much the same thing. Search www.jimwolftechnology.com if you really want more info on it, or lookit this pic: http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/poprest.htm

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so can i just buy a pop charger without buying intake and connect it to my car..and how much does the jwt pop charger cost?
thanks
nick

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good to know, I've also been kind of left in the dust on what cat-back exhaust systems and the downpipe exactly are, can someone fill me in?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Myinfinitig20 said:
alright people i just got introduced to something new the other day. A pop charger, supposedly Stillen and JWT make them and they're good for 7 hp and they're different from cold air intakes. Can someone please clarify this for me in lamens terms. Thanks
nick

No way it makes 7 hp. Figure about 3.

BTW, the venturi that is machined into the adapter for the filter is very important. The MAF does not like turbulent air flow and that is what the venturi is for - is smooths out the air flow through the MAF.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
JanusX001 said:
Good to know, I've also been kind of left in the dust on what cat-back exhaust systems and the downpipe exactly are, can someone fill me in?
You guys could use the

SEARCH

function, but that is probably to easy to do. Right? :-\

With that said, let's analyze this:

cat-back exhaust systems Hmm?
1. cat = catalytic convertor
2. back = to the rear, behind, etc.
3. exhaust = something to direct released air from the engine, usually includes a muffler

So, a cat-back exhaust system would be...

...drum roll please...

...an exhaust system that starts behind the cat and ends with a muffler and tip.

As for a down-pipe. That is the pipe that runs down from the turbo on a turbo SR20 to the catalytic. Some also call the secondaries on a stock exhaust that go from the exhaust manifold to the cat (flex-pipe) a down-pipe as well.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Re: Re: what the hell is a pop charger

Geo said:
BTW, the venturi that is machined into the adapter for the filter is very important. The MAF does not like turbulent air flow and that is what the venturi is for - is smooths out the air flow through the MAF.
If I'm not mistaken, isn't that specific to the SR20 MAF? I don't think most other manufactures MAFs have that turbulent air flow issue. Just us guys.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Myinfinitig20 said:
so can i just buy a pop charger without buying intake and connect it to my car..and how much does the jwt pop charger cost?
Yes...you can...comes complete, ready to install, takes about 30-45 min with basic tools.

Cost me $120 + shipping back in Novermber of 01', prices may have changed.

Call JWT to order, 619-442-0680

·
Registered
429 Posts
When I joined

When I joined G20.net (4months back) no one ever said

"You guys could use the

SEARCH

function, but that is probably to easy to do. Right?:-\ "

To any of the questions I ever asked, but people here have become so "l33t" that they cant answer very fundamental questions that alot of people joining this site ask.

I ran search for Pop Charger here and nothing pulled up that would answer his simple question (I assume because alot of folks almost all know what one is). Instead of giving a smart ass remark you could have said

"Check http://se-r.net/ they can answer alot of your questions"

It saves keystorkes, you actully help the person not need to ask anymore questions and you dont come across as a smart ass...

I actully respect your comments (u have helped me before) and this isn't so much directed at you as it is the attitude of alot of the "older" folks. One of the great things about this bored is the adult nature and the lack of bull^*&^ threads but in the last couple months no-one wants to help the newbies and thats sad cause we are all newbies once....

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Re: When I joined

Icudie said:
I ran search for Pop Charger here and nothing pulled up that would answer his simple question (I assume because alot of folks almost all know what one is). Instead of giving a smart ass remark you could have said

"Check http://se-r.net/ they can answer alot of your questions"
I understand where you are coming from, and I somewhat agree. But if you read my reply, you would have noticed that my smart ass remark was in regards to a cat-back exhaust. And I explained the downpipe without being a smart ass.

The way I see it is, yes many of us were newbies before and at the time we were newbies, most of us would look over a forum, read the topics of discussion and actually use the wonderful function that a search button provides. We would get the feel of the people in the forum, then ask questions.

I would hope that some of my smart ass remarks are seen by other newbies then they can get the idea to use the funtionality of the whole forum and not what I like to call "redundant" posts.

But, as everything usually pans out, they won't and someone if not me will post something with a sarcastic undertone and we'll be right back to where we started.

·
Registered
429 Posts
But if you read my reply, you would have noticed that my smart ass remark was in regards to a cat-back exhaust.
Crap your right!

Oh well you understood my point and gave me a respectful answer with out using the smart ass against me :)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Um... getting back to the POP charger intake, get on ebay and there are really cheap ones up for grabs under 30 bucks and i'm sure they work just as well as a JWT POP charger. hell, all it is is a cone filter and adapter!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
tdog551 said:
hell, all it is is a cone filter and adapter!
Incorrect. The Pop has a venturi adapter that connects to the MAF. It is a machined that way to reduce the amount of turbulence prior to entering the MAF.

As ICUDIE stated, you can go to www.se-r.net and read up on this.

Those cheap eBay adapters do not reduce any turbulence whatsoever and therefore will not have the same performance results as a true JWT Pop or Stillen Hi-Flo (Same as JWT Pop).

I am not saying they don't work, they just are not as good. But the price is right.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Thanks for letting me know that, i WAS going to just get one off ebay. Gotta have the best for my car.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I went up to SR20Development today and they started fitting my custom CAI and JWT POP into my engine *I get it installed after powdercoating next week... :p * The JWT POP is HUGE... I never knew it was that big. I've seen smaller looking lookalikes, but when I saw my POP, it was huge, blue, and I have no freaking idea how it'll fit at the end of a CAI, suckin air from outside my engine bay.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Re: Re: When I joined

NismoPC said:

The way I see it is, yes many of us were newbies before and at the time we were newbies, most of us would look over a forum, read the topics of discussion and actually use the wonderful function that a search button provides. We would get the feel of the people in the forum, then ask questions.

I would hope that some of my smart ass remarks are seen by other newbies then they can get the idea to use the funtionality of the whole forum and not what I like to call "redundant" posts.
A few days ago, I started a thread in General titled "$ vs performance" – it didn't get too far. The idea was for the genuine resident experts to tabulate performance modifications in terms of % performance increase (vs stock) compared to price. I suggested this in an attempt to minimise the repeated questions about mods that (understandably) annoy people who have taken the time and effort to give thoughtful answers to these questions time and time again. Hence so many "TRY THE SEARCH FEATURE" responses.

I'm mentioning it here, because I still think it would be a worthwhile idea.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Hey FF Drifter, when i finally get my DET put into my car, will that intake and POP fit into my car the same as it did for yours? And if it will, do you think they would be able to make another and ship it to me if you were to give them a call for me? Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts