Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Ive bitched enough but this is the king of all bitching-

my car burns lots of oil-about a quart ever two weeks with lots of driving-blow bye

i have some sort of timing problem where my timing is pushed all the way foward for it to run good and it makes this annoying tickling sound when it idles

I run 94 octane gas

so now I pretty much know that my engine is fucked and I have to do something soon. If I do a piston ring job its gonna cost alot of money and they are gonna find other things wrong aswell probably so what do I do about my engine, replace it, fix it, get a JDM one,run thicker oil ?-I cant afford a DET, how much for all this?

This is my most serious post so plese help me out-

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Most likely, from your description of the issues, the cheapest and easiest solution would be to grab a used JDM Primera motor from an importer like Soken or K. Wantanbee. Currently over in California I've heard of deals for SR20 motors under $300 (plus shipping).

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
JustinP10 said:
Most likely, from your description of the issues, the cheapest and easiest solution would be to grab a used JDM Primera motor from an importer like Soken or K. Wantanbee. Currently over in California I've heard of deals for SR20 motors under $300 (plus shipping).

I agree. Then we won't have to listen to all your bitchin' all of the time!
:lol:

Too bad you don't live closer to me. I'd be more than happy to assist you with a engine swap. It'd be worth the experience.

·
Registered
614 Posts
DONT get an engine from SOKEN. I have heard some bad things about them recently. Most of their engines lack good quality, I would be really skeptical getting an engine from them. If you want a good, reliable DE or DET, go through Jason @ JGY Customs.

http://www.JGYcustoms.com

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
he he ...

I'm buying a JDM engine tomorrow morning... Too bad I live on the East Coast and I couldn't recommend them to you... The place is in New Jersey and I'm in NY. 93det did a JDM swap in his P10, he says the car's way more zippy and it works well with the U.S. ECU... You may need to do some custom jobs/welding with the manifolds... but everything else should be just fine... He's helping me out with mine, so I'll keep you guys updated... I think he said I might not have an EGR system no more (Cuz' The JDM's don't use it!)... What good is the EGR anyways??? I know I've heard somewhere that these are stronger and less restricted that the U.S ones... I guess I'm about to find out soon........

A swap is your best choice... doing engine repairs will cost you an arm and a leg...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
up here we have Aircare which tests our emisions so if I do a swap I need everything thats in the USDM engine if the JDM one has all that stuff to pass Aircare Is the EGR related to it ? What part of the manifold has to be welded ?

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
...YEAH...

Okay... I really wish 93det was reading this post right now!! LOL :p (He'd be more precise with the answers).
About the manifold needing to be welded, it has to do with the pipe size!! I think he said that the US models' pipes are a couple of inches smaller than the JDM ones so he had to weld a bit to make it fit... Please don't quote me on this one... but I'll make sure I ask him for the real facts and I'll let ya'll know!! :) Also the company is called Soen Trade Corporation in New Brunswick, New Jersey. The guys are really cool/nice over there. They let you check the engines and stuff; there were about seven of them left and I bought one... they all looked good to me too... I picked up my engine on Saturday morning, it was $470ish. Remember that you can ALWAYS use the current parts on your car with the JDM block, so if you're concerned about the emission issue, you should keep your OE ones!!
I'm just building money now to get the job done. I also need to get supplies for a tune-up on that engine... :D

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
...MMMH..

I would normally agree with Casual... but there is a lot more involved in engine 'drastic' problems that may make it not safe to keep driving on the 'damaged' engine! See, in my case for instance, I MUST have a car to go to work... Alot of people told me to drive the car til' the engine dies... Now what if that happens while I'm on the highway to work or going home??? It's true saving is a great idea... but you might end up paying more with an emergency situation (tow truck fees, etc.)... the price of the engine doesn't make it... better or worse... :crosseyed An NGK spark plug from NOPI.com at $10.45 isn't better than an NGK one from PerformanceMotorCars.com at $8.45!! Am I right or wrong? :-\
When buying an engine, you take a risk regardless, whether you bought it 1000 or 500 beans... and somewhat 'rely' on the given warranties on that engine. I thought about waiting, but personally, I wouldn't want to risk it for anything... too much depends on it and even your safety...
My engine's knock only gets worse by the day... who knows when it'll drop me in the middle of nowhere??? :-\
I can only suggest you use your best jugement on your engine before making any decision... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
funny

casual said:
in this case i agree with fraychild!
good point!
casual
LOL... whatever Cas.. :p

Anyone knows where I could find a good downpipe (header pipe) for a P10? ... I checked out the pacesetter site... I couldn't even find a Header for my car!!! :eek:

Anyone?....

:square:

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
got it...

I got the message.... Well... besides a Pacesetter one... what else would you guys recommend for a P10?...

Hey Cas!...Pssst!... over here....<whisper>: if it didn't work for other cars, I doubt it'd be any different for a P10 (we're not that special you know)... LOL :lol:

The HS one, which is what I wanted originally, is so damn expensive... I need something of good quality, with an affordable price... and I know there's gotta be one out there!!! :mad:

Kna'w mean? :confused: =) :lol: :nervous: :p ;) :D :knockout: :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts