Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

What to look for in a T-25

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Geo 
#1 ·
I have been looking around at a few SR20DET'S.

What is something good to look for?
What are things to make you walk away?

I saw three engines today. Oddly enough one of them had oil in the intake piping going to the t25(plastic tubing) and a lil' oil going into the intake of the turbo. Also the turbine did not spin at all. Whats up with that?

What else are turbo do's and dont's?

Thanx Stu

#2 ·
Well there should be NO play in the turbo wheels. It should spin freely....so that one you described sounds siezed. Other than that I guess it's kind of tough to tell if there isn't a leak or not.

Someone else might be able to give you a better explination. George? Louis?

#3 ·
Thanx Jason

I dont think its leaking oil. However, its quite strange. In the intake tubing which would probably come from the air filter there is oil inside of that. The turbine would not turn at all. At the same time the housing looked brand new not a spec. of dirt on it. Strange:rolleyes:

#4 ·
G-Forces said:
Well there should be NO play in the turbo wheels. It should spin freely....so that one you described sounds siezed. Other than that I guess it's kind of tough to tell if there isn't a leak or not.

Someone else might be able to give you a better explination. George? Louis?
You definitely don't want any play along the axis of the wheels. If you can just barely feel it, it's marginal.

Indeed that one sounds like it is seized and needs a rebuild.

As for the oil, that's not uncommon. Between a bit of blow-by, the routing of the venitaltion hoses from the valve cover, and the vacuum in the intake tube, like I said, it's not uncommon - from what I understand.

#5 ·
Also, look inside the VC if possible. The outsides usually are very clean because they powerwash them or something to that effect. They always look very clean on the outside, but can be pretty nasty inside.

#6 · (Edited)
JustinP10 said:
Also, look inside the VC if possible. The outsides usually are very clean because they powerwash them or something to that effect. They always look very clean on the outside, but can be pretty nasty inside.

What is a VC?

Also are the Garrett T-25 turbo's expensive to rebuild?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.