Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Debating whether or not to get my trans fixed. That car has 112k. It has an oil leak from someplace, I have not quite figured out where it comes from. I've been driving my parent's altima around for the time being while I think about what to do. Do you think its a feasible idea to get it fixed and hope it lasts for 3-4 more years?

·
THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!
13,766 Posts
112K is not much. i think it's worth at least a diagnosis from a shop. then get an estimate, and it'll much easier to decide.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
my G has 146K if my tranny broke, I wouldn't even think twice about it, I would replace it in a heartbeat. Well I kinda have a bad fixation with my car:shifty: As for oil leaks, the likely culprit is lower oil pan gasket, upper oil pan gasket, oil sending unit, or the upper valve cover....

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
my beat has 165k and it runs perfect. get a junkyard trans. auto or manual?

a couple other possible oil leaks could be distributor o-ring (easy) or front or rear main seals. rear main is cake when you do the trans. front, not so easy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright thanks for your opinions. From what I understand the SR20de is a solid piece of machinery and should last into the 200k range (if properly maintained). I own a 96 g20t (auto). From reading...the auto trans seems to go quicker than a manual?

·
Registered
242 Posts
my car had 190,000 when the auto went out, i bought a used (40,000 mile) jdm transmission off ebay and had it shipped to a local tranny shop and they installed it (also a had them swap the axles for which they did for free because they need to take the old axles out anyway) for about $950, it has the 1st-2nd gear shift problem but other wise shifts great its been about a year i expect it to last for quite awhile.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
yeah, I was thinking and compared to other auto g's yours went a bit quick, remember to stay on top of tranny fluid changes, I do one every year...., and take the lower oil pan (tranny) and clean the mesh trap, put new gasket, this will make your tranny last longer

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
My first p10 was auto and the tranny went out at like 110K. It was a salvage car and it had been in a serious accident though. All the body panels were realigned, it was badly repainted, etc etc.

The other 3 have been great, no reliability problems. I think one starter and that was it. I have 185k right now on the original engine and it runs very well. I do think once I get past the 220-250l I will want a different car. Not so much for the reliability, but because it is quite an old car, so if some idiot crashes into me the insurance would only give me a couple peanuts for it.

Proper maintenance is the key.

Demon

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Yes, get the tranny fixed because it's definately cheaper than buying a new car. Also an oil leak can come from anywhere, is pointless to guess at something like without seeing the car. Think about a tranny pan gasket though. If your having tranny probs it would make sense that the tranny pan is leaking too

1 - 13 of 13 Posts