Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is our stock timing for the spark plugs 15?

Because I just read on http://www.se-r.net/engine/about_timing.html that 15 is the best advanced timing for using 87 octane fuel.. thats what I want. I want advanced timing while safely using 87 octance fuel.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
If you read that again, it was not referring to 15 degrees and 87 octane as "advance timing". It referred to that as the best timing w/o JWT ECU. Factory set timing (stock) is 15 degrees +/-2. Which means that stock timing is anywhere between 13 and 17 degrees. Running conservatively between 13-15 you can run 87 octane with no problems, anything above that, you will need to run the higher octane.

Here is the referral to actual advance timing:

That's it. The trick is to set it to the extreme limit of the specification - 17 degrees. You'll get noticeably better throttle response there. Advanced timing helps power, but can cause knocking or pinging. The EFI computer *should* "hear" this and back off the timing to prevent engine damage, at which point it may run worse than if you had kept the timing conservative. Mine didn't benefit from going beyond 17. I always run 91 octane or better gas too, which lets you push the timing farther without trouble.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts