Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's that Noise for Pete's sake!! VOL 2

So I got this new noise symptom in my engine bay, specifically undercarriage. I noticed it since a month ago when driving downtown Montreal and the noise is coming back again. Here is the description:

When I hard rev well over 6K RPM and slowly release my throttle pedal, the tingling, rattling noise generates at an exact RPM of 3800. I figure it's the natural frequency to get something loose to vibrate. It's like a piece of tin vibrating at high frequency. Not too sure if it is from the downpipe or the manifold but it's freaking annoying!!! Oh one time I started my engine with the A/C and radio on, there was this noise from the speakers, the kind of noise you would hear from a blackout radio station - mainly a frequency bandwidth!! Freak me out. I am hoping to jack up the car this weekend and explore the noise. Hopefully it's one of the bracing that got loose and not other mechanical failure! Thanks for listening and see if you can help isolate the source. Cheers.

jIm

·
Registered
64 Posts
im replacing my front pipe (downpipe) becuase my flex pipe has a hole in it.. while im down there im going to investigate my 4600 rpms rattle.. (its time for an oil change any way.. im gonna pull my oil pan apart.. if i have loose articals of metal im going to directly go to nissan ;) if i dont find any thing.. im gonna go price a 2001 g20 ecu ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
with your mods, I guess you dont have any metal heat shielding left in the engine bay right ?

One of my bolts came loose on the exhaust manifold heat shielding, causing a noise exactly like you described "tin vibrating at high freq", right at 3500 it would happen like clockwork.

I bet somethings loose. (just what is it)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have yet to have the mods. They are future projects.

But yes, it looks like it is some kind of loose metal. The funny thing is the noise is not there when you drive it gently but when you rev and quick shift oh it's there!! Some kind of housing is loosed!

·
Registered
64 Posts
alright now im busting chops.. :smoke: :nerd:

so i take my front pipe off(becuase of the gaping hole in my flex pipe.. i take it out and i shake the entire pipe.. i hear a load creaking.. (which is assuming the pipe was completely cracked. ) and i load the new front Pipe on to my car.. i go for a "Joy ride"... sure enough my 4600 rpm jingles are gone!!!!

I'd Like to donate My middle finger to those who said i spun a bearing
:evil: :evil: :evil:

(but its all good guys live and learn.. it hard to diagnose issues over the internet!!! )

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATES

Thought I'd follow up on the discovery of the noise generated from my engine bay last month.

It turned out the rattling-metal-clipping noise was due to my damaged heat shield from the exhaust manifold. Under warranty, it cost me $0!!! =)

Cheers everyone.
g.loads

1 - 6 of 6 Posts