Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing this is a common p10 problem, especially when they get as old as mine. Well, the stupid inner rubber weather strips around the doors started to peel and sag. I tryed super glue but it only worked on my fingers, I tryed rubber cement and no luck, I tried epoxy but had to stand there holding them every few inches in 15 minutes segments. That got too crunchy and fell off too. then I used a supposedly strong contact cement thats used for laminating counter tops and it did the trick until the first hot day the glue went back to liquid state and they slipped off again. This is an on and off problem I've been having and I've really caked on the adhesives so its starting to look pretty bad. If anyone knows the best way to get these back on good please reply.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I used Super glue but I used a finely coated layer on the metal not the rubber becuase it will fall right off. I live in Florida and every day iS A HOT DAY

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I did the super glue thing too. Does wonders on my '92. Just make sure to put in on thinly because in this case, more ISN'T better. This works pretty well in the heat, just find the right kind of glue.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had same problem--I live and die by RTV silicone --you can buy it in a small tube at any good auto parts store--they have different kinds for different purposes---I have found they all work well--it is was most dealers use--it is easy to apply--becomes tacky quickly and then holds well

·
Registered
218 Posts
Super glue is not a good choice because it's not flexible. There is a black silicone made especially for repairing rubber gaskets like this. That would probably work pretty well for keeping the gasket stuck to the car.

I'm sure 3M probably makes something specifically for this as well.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the silicone solution but doesn't that stuff take forever to dry. So I have to stand there and hold it for half and hour? Okay..time for another trip to pep boys. Thanks for the swift resonses

·
Registered
177 Posts
No you do not have to hold it--the silicone is thick and rubbery --just spread a bead of it --press the gasket to it--leave door open for an hour or two and like magic it is fixed!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Hmmm I guess if my weather strips ever come off again, I'll do the 3M adhessive ting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts