Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It gets so hot uder my hood!!! I also feel a lil heat in the cabin after hittin the recic button on the A/C I thnk most of the heat is coming from the manifold, should I spray if with high temp paint then wrap it??? My downpipe is wrapped already, I was thinkin about wrappin it all the way to the firewall maybe, but what abut it gettin wet??? I have stock fans with no over heattin issues but I'm thinkin about addin one slim fan on the front of the condesor??? What have you fellow turbo guys done to keep you temps down????

also what about the turbo both sides, do you think high temp paint will help???

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
wouldnt a full aluminum radiator help with that since the engine would stay cooler?

adding another slim fan by the condenser seems pretty smart but there isnt much room in there last time i checked but if you could fit one there im sure it would help.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wouldnt a full aluminum radiator help with that since the engine would stay cooler?

adding another slim fan by the condenser seems pretty smart but there isnt much room in there last time i checked but if you could fit one there im sure it would help.
Not sure, my main concern is the fans don't do nothing but blow hot air I checked my rad res and the water was low and dirty, could dirty water cause the fans to blow hot air???? I have a nismo rad cap and T stat for the record

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
well idk about your build specifically but i know that for the gti-r setup they sell heatshields for the manifold and the j pipe...why not get something custom made to keep the heat by the manifold instead of allowing it to rise?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Wrap the manifold, turbo and downpipe. Then I plan on cutting the shit out of the stock hood or proping the back up higher like some of the old school guys do.

I've been looking for an EVO hood vent for quite some time. Haven't managed to find it though.

Gmac

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
there was a thread awhile back about cutting holes in your stock hood. There was a link to and s2k forum where all those guys did it. The general consensus on this board was that it doesn't look too good on a G. I actually think it would look great if done right. But anyway the s2k guys were amazed by how much the temps dropped under the hood.

They were saying how if you hold your hand over the vent you can really feel the heat shooting up from under the hood.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
There have been a couple people, two that I can think of, on this forum that have cut up their hood. Basically all triangles, two in the front and one to the front driver side.

like this...(really lousy attempt)

.....IIIIIII..IIIIIII
......I....I..I....I
.......I...I..I...I..........I
........I..I..I..I..........II
.........I.I..I.I..........I.I
..........II..II..........IIII

Hmm..that does the trick.

And if you follow the bracing under the hood you could make that pattern and not cut away any of the bracing, which I would imagine is a plus. Throw some mess under or trick ass grates under there and respray. All done. Or just do my other idea of putting spacers/washers on the back hinges to raise the rear of the hood up, which would probably work the best seeing that air coming in the front would have a place to exit out the back.

Gmac

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
There have been a couple people, two that I can think of, on this forum that have cut up their hood. Basically all triangles, two in the front and one to the front driver side.

like this...(really lousy attempt)

.....IIIIIII..IIIIIII
......I....I..I....I
.......I...I..I...I..........I
........I..I..I..I..........II
.........I.I..I.I..........I.I
..........II..II..........IIII

Hmm..that does the trick.

And if you follow the bracing under the hood you could make that pattern and not cut away any of the bracing, which I would imagine is a plus. Throw some mess under or trick ass grates under there and respray. All done. Or just do my other idea of putting spacers/washers on the back hinges to raise the rear of the hood up, which would probably work the best seeing that air coming in the front would have a place to exit out the back.

Gmac
I like your idea of tracing the underside bracing. I think it could be done without even having to respray. Id say just take a small paintbrush and primer the edge you just cut, and then throw some trim (such as the low profile license plate deal) around the cut (provided you cut it straight).

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I was wondering (kind of wanted to do this at some point)..how about putting a small fan...horizontally, facing down, just in front of the tranny? There is plenty of area there for a small fan. That way, some of the hot air will be pulled from the engine bay and down on the ground, and away from the car as you drive...interesting idea :)

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
heat rises and air probably flows up into that area. therefore you would need a really strong fan for it to overcome those obstacles and lower temps. then you would have a serious draw on your alternater to power the fan.

·
Registered
20,867 Posts

Here is a pic of those triangle vents. Way back from AF days Kev did it, then the hood switched over to dave007 when he built the skymera.

I was wondering (kind of wanted to do this at some point)..how about putting a small fan...horizontally, facing down, just in front of the tranny? There is plenty of area there for a small fan. That way, some of the hot air will be pulled from the engine bay and down on the ground, and away from the car as you drive...interesting idea :)
Except then the air is going under the car. In the front, out the top is best

·
shenanigans
2,002 Posts
Yea I was having this problem last year, but since then I put in a better radiator and pulled out the A/C condenser and opened up more air flow through my grill and lower bumper where the intercooler is, it seemed to make a world of difference.

but you want your A/C yet, so I would definitely suggest getting a nice aluminum radiator and some high flow fans. It will make a big difference when your in slower/stop and go traffic. After all that’s when most of your heat is generated. If you are moving 20mph+ you get a ton of airflow through the front as it is.

The only negative (I really wouldn’t worry about it to much) to getting a hood scoop/opening is that it creates uneven pressure/turbulence in the engine bay, that might actually give you worse cooling properties.

·
shenanigans
2,002 Posts
Also I have read numerous articles on making NACA ducts. Supposedly this is one of the best ways to cool turbo heat problems. Do a google search on how to build one, and im sure you will get some good examples.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Yeah but isn't a naca duct for intake purposes?

I think that evo vent would look fine on the G20 hood.

And I really like those triangle vents as well.

Gmac

1 - 20 of 70 Posts