Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
P10 hater
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be a good idea if there was a place that you could easily access in order to find out what your state's tint laws were. Being in the military, I move a lot, and would prefer to get tint that I can be legal with i most states. Anyway, I found this website that is a quick easy reference:

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/

Hopefully that helps because I got tint in Idaho, had to remove it in Utah, am looking to get it again now in Mississippi, but I'm moving to Texas in May.

Post if you know if anything is changed or if you've had a specific issue in some states. Enjoy.

·
Im a organ donor.
4,843 Posts
problem is here in GA that county to county they have different fines. so if i get pulled over in my neck of the woods by gwinett police the ticket is like 45$. (yeah i got about 5 months ago)Right down the road in suwanee though i hear the fines are like 300$. guess it comes down to im willing to pay to keep it and so are alot of other people. Cops love tint. gives them a reason to pull you over. they may never even say anything about it cause they may find a out light or something else. its always there for them to say" i pulled you over for tint" though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I always thought as long as it was legal where your plates are from than you don't have to change anything, even if your current place or residence has different laws....

·
P10 hater
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I'm gonna go ahead and get 35% in the front. It won't be legal in some states, but it is legal in the vast majority. I went and looked through all states' laws.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think I'm gonna go ahead and get 35% in the front. It won't be legal in some states, but it is legal in the vast majority. I went and looked through all states' laws.
I picked my car up from FL w/ all the windows tinted and in IL, you shouldn't technically have the front ones tinted so after a couple tickets I would roll down the fronts whenever I saw the po-po, rain or shine which was a PITA, so I finally got rid of them. But if you have out of state plates I don't think you'll ever have issues.

·
P10 hater
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I picked my car up from FL w/ all the windows tinted and in IL, you shouldn't technically have the front ones tinted so after a couple tickets I would roll down the fronts whenever I saw the po-po, rain or shine which was a PITA, so I finally got rid of them. But if you have out of state plates I don't think you'll ever have issues.
That's a good idea, just roll them on down whenever they come by, lol.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
In Cali I read 70% is "legal" but most places don't even sell that so they just say 50% is legal, but for the rears anything is legal. Only thing that six is that cops are dicks about modded cars here so they pull you over 4 that and try and find any little bullshit to write you up on and to give you shit about.

·
Registered
844 Posts
In NC its 35% but I got 20% because I'm never there since I go to school in Florida, in which there law is 35% in the front 15% everywhere else so I'm fine until I have to get my car inspected in NC then I'll just convince them to let me keep the tint :teeth:

·
P10 hater
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In Cali I read 70% is "legal" but most places don't even sell that so they just say 50% is legal, but for the rears anything is legal. Only thing that six is that cops are dicks about modded cars here so they pull you over 4 that and try and find any little bullshit to write you up on and to give you shit about.
revenue and harassment right? That's what they do best.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
im not sure i think 20% in the front and as dark as you want in the back.
but i had a eye injury years back so if i wanted i could get a tint waver and do what i want

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
35 in mass for all windows...its dumb if u get the rears darker anyways it looks odd and not in sync with the front

·
WCMIII/SR2012 FLAKER
5,201 Posts
I forgot about the percentage, but just on tints alone the fronts are illegal but the rears (b pillar & back) you can go as far as actually painting the windows black, but 99.9% of the time its to the descretion of the officer.

Trust me, i've had several Tints violations over the last 10yrs & most I got overthrown cause I went by the book, but just a tad dark but not Limo Tint dark.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I always thought as long as it was legal where your plates are from than you don't have to change anything, even if your current place or residence has different laws....
Not true. a couple years back GA repealed the tint law entirely (so everyone i know mobbed out their cars with 5% or darker) and many of us were ticketed for this while driving through Florida. Several months after this the law was re-instated at 32% where I live. I think at least in GA it may vary county to county though...

·
P10 hater
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not true. a couple years back GA repealed the tint law entirely (so everyone i know mobbed out their cars with 5% or darker) and many of us were ticketed for this while driving through Florida. Several months after this the law was re-instated at 32% where I live. I think at least in GA it may vary county to county though...
That's good to know that it can still happen.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I forgot about the percentage, but just on tints alone the fronts are illegal but the rears (b pillar & back) you can go as far as actually painting the windows black
Good point, i had forgotten about that aspect. The tint law where i live in GA is that the front 2 cant be darker than 32% and something like no more than 10% of the windshield can have any tint on it (like the stripe some people put at the top cant total more than 10% of the total windshield) but there is no regulation on any other window (IE: rear windows and rear windshield can be as dark as you'd like.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts