Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
More than likely, because it going to take more power to turn those wheels. It will also depend on the tire diameter as well...

I highly doubt youd see the difference tho, its probably just a minute amount, unless your running 30 lb 19" Rims....just my two cents...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Anything that increases weight will decrease mileage. Anything that increases rolling resistance will decrease mileage. So, if you get a heavier wheel with wider tires, yes your mileage will decrease. Also, if your new wheel/tire combo is smaller in diameter than stock, your mileage will decrease on the highway (because RPMs will be slightly higher for a given speed).

However; if you buy tires that are the same diameter as stock (or very close), wheels that don't weigh too much (I'd say 20lb per wheel for 17's is the absolute heaviest you would want), and don't get a tire that's TOO much wider than stock (say a 205) you probably won't notice a change at all.

I went from stock wheels/tires to semi-lightweight 17x7's with Toyo 205's and didn't notice any change in my mileage. I'm sure it dropped a *little*, but not enough for me to notice. And i track my mileage very closely using a spreadsheet. I definitely DID notice the change in handling though. Lower profile tires make a HUGE difference in both handling and looks. I would have a very hard time going back to stock.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Yahnozha said:
More than likely, because it going to take more power to turn those wheels. It will also depend on the tire diameter as well...

I highly doubt youd see the difference tho, its probably just a minute amount, unless your running 30 lb 19" Rims....just my two cents...
He's right. I don't even think it's difference worth measuring. Even if you did get "heavier" wheels, you'd probably only notice the decrease if you always floor the pedal. At constant crusing speed the MPG should be the same.=)

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
..BUT

I'm not so sure it is a good idea to go with heavier wheels... lighter or the same weight is always better.... I hear the G20's are pretty precise in their setup for the right weight ratio... you may not like the result of drive feel or quality going with heavier wheels.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
I don't think you'll really feel a difference with heavier wheels, it'll slow your car down, and handling should be a little worse with really heavy wheels, but i'm not sure it's a difference you can really feel, rather something that could be measured. It's just like the difference between a 1.7 and 1.8ghz computer processor. They are different, but you can't see a difference, you can really only tell the difference in benchmarks. I think heavier wheels do the same. Also, if you get stickier tires, the benefits of the tires may outweigh (no pun intended) the negative aspects of the heavier wheel.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well...

Stock wheels i got about 30MPG

Heavy 17's 22lbs - 20MPG

Light 17's 16lbs - 28MPG

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
A380Driver said:
well...

Stock wheels i got about 30MPG

Heavy 17's 22lbs - 20MPG

Light 17's 16lbs - 28MPG
You noticed a 10mpg difference? How many tankfuls is this averaged out of? Between my 16" wheels and stock wheels I don't differ at all, and my 16's are right around 20lbs a wheel IIRC. :depressed Hell, my gas mileage doesn't vary that much highway vs. city driving. (mid-high 20's in the city, high 20's to low 30's on the highway).

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
..also

to make it a true test.. you'd have to use the same brand of tire and the same width... as in, if you had stock 195, your 17s should be 195 also.. which most people don't do.. they then to upgrade to 205s. and different tires have different weights and different affects on gas mileage too!

·
Registered
31 Posts
10 MPG?.?.?

That acn't be right! I'm not sure of the weight of my wheels but I have 18" chromed and there isn't even a 10MPH difference for me.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
well....

again, it depends on the brand of tire... over inflated vs. underinflated and how wide...

...Heck, I've gotten a 12mph difference in winter vs. summer with my snow tires on my former BMW -- but the winter cold weather plays into that partially too..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts