1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new amplifiers!!!

JBL P180.2 (90w x 4 RMS @ 2 Ohms)
JBL BP1200.1 (300w x 4 RMS @ 2 Ohms)

OHHHHHHHHH man! If anyone out there needs a new sub amp or is looking for some extra power then BY ALL MEANS GO GET A JBL BP1200.1!! It's 1200 watts RMS x 1 @ 2 ohms....my 4 JBL subs KNOCK with this AMP (it's got 3 40AMP fuses!). It hits so hard that it makes my cd player skip when it's turned up without me driving (this is a serious problem).

Anyway - the real part of this thread: I don't know where to put my sub amp. It gets warm so I don't want to put it under the seat. Right now it's in the middle of my trunk but I'm not so hot with that because it severly limits my trunk room with the amp and 4 subs. I don't know where to put this thing comfortably. Any ideas? Where did you guys hide/put your amps? I might just throw it on top of one of the boxes but...eh.

Oh yeah - the amp cost me $275 BRAND NEW!

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Personally I have my amp mounted on an amp rack at the rear of my trunk.

You are lucky to have the fold down seats. I mounted my girlfriends PPI PC275 in her MX3 on the rear of the seats. So when we fold down the seats(to get more bass) you can see the amplifier resting on the rear of the seats plus it lets cool air flow around your amplifiers.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yeah, mine is located on the back of the rear seat. Fits perfectly and I can have my box all the way up on my rear seat and you can't even see it. Try it.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
he he

Mine is mounted on the back of the rear seat as well... The box blocks it (I'm thinking of putting two small boxes instead), but when you pull it out, you see the amp and the lil' blue line (Kenwood KAC-829) .. I have a P10... and it comes with this lil' plastic, carpet covered board that stands against the back of the seat.. well I cut a square hole, exaclty around the amp... and it's all custom and it looks like the car came with it ... :) Everyone drools over it... I'll show pics ASAP... ;)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input guys!

See I don't think I can put it on the back-side of my rear seats because the amp is bigger than the opening that's available when only one seat is down (split folding). However it's my only option. I think I might use a piece of wood to attach the rear seats together from behind and mount the amp on that slab of wood. It would make the split folding non functional but I can still fold down both together so I guess that wouldn't be that bad. Plus then you can see the JBL logo from the amp from the trunk with the seats up.....dam that would be sweet. 4 JBL logos from the subs and one from the amp right in the middle....sounds like a plan.

Oh - I'm gonna get some pics too soon of this system and my car lowered on the stock wheels!

·
Registered
129 Posts
u could put it where the stock Bose amp is on the 99 G, this is under the rear speaker shelf, clamp it underneath the shelf somehow.

that way it is hidden, it saves space, and does the job! of course it depends how big the amp is...

·
Registered
520 Posts
I remember someone putting it inside the car kinda like where the sunroof would be. I must say it looked really tight and the guy said it was working just fine.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
noooooooooooooo

CosmicG20T said:
u could put it where the stock Bose amp is on the 99 G, this is under the rear speaker shelf, clamp it underneath the shelf somehow.

that way it is hidden, it saves space, and does the job! of course it depends how big the amp is...

dont put it upside down. some amps cook when flipped. Hell my HCCA was prone for doing this. Be careful

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Upside down amplifier mounting is really bad. Especially for the JBL power series because it makes their heatsinks useless (but normally, the heat sinks disepate heat GREAT).

Because my boxes are made from wood they practically come right to the end of the rear seat backing and the amp is to big (height) the mount directly on the seat back with the sub boxes. I might just put it under the driver's seat for now and look into a box redesign. I'm happy with my setup anyway, so I might just move the amp and leave that permanently...god it sounds sweet. I'm still workin on that digital camera.

·
Registered
886 Posts
this is just an idea. my second amp RF 700s wan placed under my subwoofer box just behind the rear seat. my intaller put four exhaust fans on the small box (amp box) to cool it down. tried to intall it where the bose amp was. and it fell off whenever i turn on my music. this is just my suggestion u might want to try it.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
/////heres an idea////////////

Why not lie your sub amp between both of your boxes and have it streched the length of your trunk?

then move the smaller amp for the components to the back of your seat

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I've found the best solution. My subwoofer amp (oddly enough) doesn't even get warm. I'm just going to throw it under my driver's seat. Then I can remove the boxs simply like I always do. I like how my setup can easily be removed ...amazing to be able to tear out my entire trunk (4 subs) in less than a minute, and still have cargo room with them in.

Thanks for your suggestions. Maybe if I ever redesign my boxes I'll incorporate amp racks.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
from the look in your picture there is something between the boxes? no? It looks like an amp? just wonderomg how u remove that to get space?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GTA_G20 said:
from the look in your picture there is something between the boxes? no? It looks like an amp? just wonderomg how u remove that to get space?

That's my old setup. That piece is now 100% bare and pulls right out. I use it to wedge the boxes in because they aren't mounted into the body....everything comes out nicely

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
nice, you know that means you gotta take new pictures right ;)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HybripAmp -> Yeah man ...looks like a kickin setup. Are you the one with 4 12s? Well - see my subs are where your amps are..... I need some new pics. I'm content with my JBL amps under the seats - they run very cool....I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THE HARMAN KARDON NAME.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeah, I used to have 4 12" Image Dynamics IDQ v.2 Subs, here is a pic of that previous install:

http://wtfaudio.milesmedia.net/pix/g20-installv2/trunk3.jpg

But now I moved the amps to those side panels and run one JL 12W7 in a 1" Plexi enclosure just because it is lighter and I have more room.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow...you went from 4 to 1 12" .....not bad. How does that JL pump? The W7's are supposed to be pretty slamming - haven't heard them yet.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts