Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you all know nissan requires gl4 in our trannies due to yellow metals used in the tranny. Gl5 will corrode them and ruin our precisous 5speeds. So most people think ahead and order redline mt90 or Amsoil MTG. But what if you forgot to order it? Don't worry people it's right down at your neighborhood NAPA.

Napa carries a brand call Stalube. It's gl4 specific and is the ONLY gl4 specific gear oil you can buy over the counter in my area at least. They only carry 85w-90 wich is the wrong viscosity for our cars. I do believe we need 75 or 80w. I did my first clutch recently and fear of pissing out $60 worth of redline or amsoil because I ripped a seal or had to take the tranny back off I gave the 85w-90 a shot. Online said it was $17 for the gallon but when I went to the store I believe the new price was $21. Still far better then the other gl4 gear oils and I didn't have to wait for shipping.

First impressions is the bottle. It looks like it came from the 80's but who cares, it's on the inside what counts. The fluid has a greenish tint to it. Not like antifreeze but definately green tint as opposed to the amber color of redline or other gears oils I've used. It's definately thicker then redline. Not like molasses but more of a cooler then room temperature syrup. BTW don't use anyone in a hurry to pour it in the funnel for you while you hold the tube in the hole from below. My bro was pouring and got carried away and I ended up taking a stalube bath.

Now to the driving experience. Before you even drive you will notice your shifter is tiny bit stiffer. Not hard by no means, but quite the opposite. It's buttery smooth and has much less wobble. I take her on the road and go through the gears. I'm amazed at how much more precise my shifts are. I mean this is non synthetic store brand gear oil! I never miss a shift and feel much more confident that I'm in gear. I had to question it a few times using the more expensive gears oils just because they seem to make my shifter sloppy.

Now before everyone runs out and buys this cheap marvelous wonder of a gear oil let me say a few things. This is not the recomended viscosity according to nissan. I have only tested this in temperatures between 55 and 75 degrees fahrenheit. People who live where it gets relatively cold may have problems shifting when temps dip below freezing. I do not know what any long term affects using this will have on my transmisison. I only have 100 miles on this gear oil and one morning cold start. So far it has performed flawlessly. I am not recommending this and if someone uses this has negative results do not blame me. I am just sharing my experience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a link to some info:http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=SL24239&S=C

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just use Redline MT90 which is GL4

www.ogracing.com sells it
that's what I used too as it states above. But this is just an option for people who don't want to drop the money for the redline and wait for shipping. It's not easy to find locally everywhere.

I have only used redline and beyond a shadow of a doubt this cheap stuff feels much better then redline so far. My car does have 200k miles so maybe it needs a little thicker lube.

That place can get me redline for $44 shipped. Very good price but still over double of this over the counter product.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I used shock proof in my car for a bit and when it got in the teens around here it was like trying to move a stick through a box of rubber bands.

That's my impression of heavy gear oil in cold weather ;)

Mike

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's good in the 40's. It was in the 40's here in CT this morning. Still shifted fine. I researched the oil and it appears 85w is good down to 10 degrees.

The point of this post was to show people that you can grab something locally. Now not every part of the US gets down into the teens. So those regions could use this stuff all year around. But for people in colder climates then yes you would want to switch this out before winter.

My plan from the beginning was to buy amsoil MTG but as stated in the very first post I didn't wan't to order something and then piss it away becuase a leaky seal or whatever.

BTW isn't shockproof gl5?

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Amsoil also makes a GL-4 that I've used in my maxima. It's pretty excellent in cold weather. There is a person on maxima.org that sells it pretty cheap. Thanks for sharing, the more options the better.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx
that is the amsoil mtg I've been referring too. I gotta try something else because IMHO MT90 sucks.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a link to some info:http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=SL24239&S=C
This is exactly what I have been using for the past 65,000 miles (changed every 30,000 miles). Works fine. Transmission works great. When I was in Michigan, if the temperature got below 10F the transmission was difficult to shift for the first 5 minutes or so. I am in Tennessee now and obviously don't have those problems anymore.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to let everyone know I'm still on the stalube. It's gone down into the low 40's. The shifter was stiffer in the morning but still felt great. Actually wish it was that stiff all the time, as I like it better then the sloppyness.

I've got about 5k on the stalube and it's still doing great. Shifts seem to be a tiny bit notchier then when I first put it in but still great. I will update when it gets into the 20's in the morning.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No not yet, it's only 40's right now overnight. I was just saying I will post again when it goes down into the 20's. That won't be until end of november probably.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just to let everyone know I'm still on the stalube. It's gone down into the low 40's. The shifter was stiffer in the morning but still felt great. Actually wish it was that stiff all the time, as I like it better then the sloppyness.

I've got about 5k on the stalube and it's still doing great. Shifts seem to be a tiny bit notchier then when I first put it in but still great. I will update when it gets into the 20's in the morning.
Hey Robj80,
Can you post your experience with stalube both with: 1) performance nearing 30k (assuming you change it at 30k); 2) cold performance.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Anyone else on updates with this stuff? I'm throwing on a new clutch soon, and with a Chicago winter approaching, trying to decide on if I'm going to go with the MT90 or the Sta Lube on my refill.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Robj80,
Can you post your experience with stalube both with: 1) performance nearing 30k (assuming you change it at 30k); 2) cold performance.

Thanks!
Sold the car but it had the stalube in there when I did. I don't swap MTF every 30k. I have no clue how many miles were on the sta lube when I sold the car. I do say I loved the feel of the thicker stuff. But in the winter months it was unbearable. You litterally can not shift until the car warms up. But once it's warm your good to go!

Anyone else on updates with this stuff? I'm throwing on a new clutch soon, and with a Chicago winter approaching, trying to decide on if I'm going to go with the MT90 or the Sta Lube on my refill.
This stuff was meant to be a temp solution. Something to put in that is safe for your tranny until you can buy the good stuff. This basically is sacrificial fluid. It was because I didn't order any redline or amsoil and I wanted to check for leaks before putting the good stuff in.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have something other than GL4 in my 5 speed. Didn't know it needed GL4....??? I've been driving like that for about a year and shifting seems to be fine. I should probably start thinking of replacing it to GL4 soon just in case though :).

·
Custom title !!!!!yay
2,458 Posts
/\ get mt90 on amazon, cheapest place (because of free shipping)unless you can find it locally, I would replace asap, you proly got gl5 which isnt good for your syncros. I did the same thing after my clutch swap.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts