Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forum's looking good!

Ahhh, ok. I posted a while ago wondering why my tranny makes a noisy "whirr" 1st through 3rd but most noticeably in third gear. So I'm driving last night and I shift into third and it slips for a half second then catches. I thought it was my mistake so I forgot about it. It happend again in the morning, then again on my way to lunch. I knew something had to be up. After work, I was driving and noticed that there's NO 3rd gear. :crosseyed: I can move the shifter into 3rd but it's just like neutral. I can move freely in and out without the clutch...:*(

Has this happend to anyone before? Is there anything I should check externally that could possibly be the cause? The car has 124700 miles so I'm guessing it's just time for another tranny because 1st and 2nd "whirr" a little bit also. I'm thinking of getting a used tranny from a j-spec importer place; good or bad idea? Does anyone have any suggestions for a transmission shop in L.A. or a place to get a used tranny? Thanks in advance! :cool:

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
Sounds like its had its day... :*(

You're in LA so you may even be able to get it fixed instead of swapping with another one. I wouldnt really know where to recommend.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Yeah, sounds like 3rd gear just bit the dust. sorry man, that sucks. Maybe check somewhere like SR20development, I know they are in Cali, but i'm not sure exactly where they are located. Are you on the SoCal-SERCA list? here's a link if not. They'd know of other good places to find a tranny in your area, in addition to SR20development.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SoCal-SERCA/

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
b-b00gie said:
Sounds like its had its day... :*(

You're in LA so you may even be able to get it fixed instead of swapping with another one. I wouldnt really know where to recommend.
I'm wondering if anyone knows what the prices are like for used trannies. If used trannys don't cost too much then I'll just have it swapped. Maybe it'll be more economical that way. At least I can still drive her until I figure out the best course of action.

I'm not on the SERCA list so I'll sign up right now. Justin, how was the SERCA meeting? I was plannning to but I couldn't get that Friday off. Do you have any pictures? ?=)

·
Registered
66 Posts
you can try fixing the third gear. Parts arent that expensive but labor might. The reason why i am not too high on used tranny is that the problem could recurr again. However, it's probably more economical if you just swap trannies.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LukeAtMe said:
you can try fixing the third gear. Parts arent that expensive but labor might. The reason why i am not too high on used tranny is that the problem could recurr again. However, it's probably more economical if you just swap trannies.
Yeah, that's true. But I'm thinking the used trannies may be pretty cheap though. I'll bring it to AAMCO tommorow and see what their diagnosis and estimate is.

Any So. Cali guys have experience with:

K. Watanabe Corp
www.kwcengines.com

or

Nippon Motors
www.nippon-motors.com

I think they carry used and rebuilt trannys there along with the J-Spec engines. Is there a code name for the transmission that we use? What other Nissans share the same tranny? Thanks for any advice. =)

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Main thing is the RS5F32A tranny has no lsd the RS5F32V tranny has it.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
JustinP10 said:
Main thing is the RS5F32A tranny has no lsd the RS5F32V tranny has it.
Is the number stamped on the outside of the transmission? Or how can I tell theat I'm getting the right transmission. I forgot that the LSD is part of the tranny with this car.

I called Nippon-Motors and they said the transmissions they get are from earlier SR20DE motors and wouldn't work for my '95. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't. I did not know their were any drastic changes between 91-94 and 95-99 with the trannies.

Could be differences in the LSD and axles lengths, etc.

:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Any SR20 FWD tranny from a P10 should just bolt right up and work. The SE-R also has the same tranny, but different half-shafts and stuff are needed, so that may be more work than you're looking for. And, i thought i remember seeing that P11 trannys are hydraulic, or some of them are. Also the gears slightly changed from the P10 to P11. Any P10 tranny will work, if stamped with a V it has LSD, if stamped with A no lsd.. also i think the halfshafts are different between the two trannys, you should double check that if you can source a V tranny.

·
Registered
20 Posts
if u need it, i have a tranny out of my 94 SE-R for sale for $200 plus shipping. it is a VLSD.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
B13 Rob P10 said:
if u need it, i have a tranny out of my 94 SE-R for sale for $200 plus shipping. it is a VLSD.
WHere are you from and how many miles on the tranny? That may be a good idea.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am from Des Plaines(chicago) IL and the trans has 102K with NO fifth gear pop-out. i has had synthetic gear oil in there since around 93K.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Not to be a party pooper here, but with that tranny i believe you'll have to have some custom halfshafts made in order to fit the G20 hubs and the SE-R tranny. It's been done before though, so there are people who would tell you what parts you'd need for eveyrthing to fit properly. I unfortunately do not know right now what combination works. Jay Stewart (I believe) did this in his G20. If you check the AF forum it's been posted on there, it's also on the se-r mailing list archives.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mike.Com said:

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the prices are like for used trannies. If used trannys don't cost too much then I'll just have it swapped. Maybe it'll be more economical that way.

Mike, don't know if this will help, but these guys are supposed to be pretty big and they deal only with Nissan/Infiniti and ship pretty much anywhere. It's an option, take a look...

http://www.autogator.com/

·
Registered
20 Posts
yeah that right. i replaced the halfshafts about 3 or 4 months ago. so if you buy the trans, i will give you both the shafts for $50.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts