Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Got most of my suspension swapped over from my old P10 tonight (braces and bars). Still need to do coilovers. It came with what looked like Tein/KYB SR Special combos. Springs had no markings on them but they were Tein green. Nowhere near as low as my Teins on my other P10 though.

There was a Diamond KeePer bubble decal on one of the windows, so I googled it and apparently it’s some kind of Japanese car wash/coating method. It’s ridiculously shiny, so I’m hoping it isnt all part of a system where if I stop taking it there to be coated, it starts flaking and gets dull. Basically it looks like they wash it and clearcoat it with each visit. Would explain the gloss, but might also explain why the paint looks newer than 81k Kms and the rest looks older.

That gearbox sounds like a nightmare. Hope they get your parts quickly. You guys have a track up by you? Nearest one we have is just a drag strip...no real course to speak of,

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
There are two in Washington, two in Oregon I think. Never been to any of them.

In August I've decided to go to Laguna Seca. :p

·
Registered
12,425 Posts
They are building another real track in Bremerton. FIA certified.

I’m back on the try to put snickers together again again.

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
My entire life they have said they are building a track in Bremerton. I'll believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
So I’ve had weird door lock gremlins in both of my other P10s before, but this one takes the cake. After taking the key out of the ignition, opening the driver door causes all other doors in the car to lock. This is fantastic when arriving at your destination with a car full of people. Wonder if there’s a way to deactivate the power door locks. Is it as simple as pulling a fuse?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Thanks for the input, Chris! I will keep that in mind. I did some playing around with it last night and determined it may be a mechanical issue. The lock/unlock button in the center console works for all doors but the driver door. When the button is pushed either way, the driver lock is unaffected. However, locking/unlocking the driver door manually (with the paddle lock by the handle) affects all the doors. If they are all in the locked position, pulling the driver door handle to try to get out of the car causes the driver door lock to open and springs all the locks.

I tried it on my G20 (because I couldn’t remember) and it behaves differently. When I manually lock the driver door lock, all the doors lock. Trying to pull the handle to get out doesn’t affect the lock and I’m locked inside until I either hit the center console button or manually unlock the driver door. When I manually unlock the driver door, the other doors remain locked.

I’m not sure if the Primera door locks are meant to behave differently for some reason or if it’s malfunctioning. Colin, does any of what I described happen on any of your Primeras? I’m guessing not. Seems like an odd method of operation.

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
Driver door doesn't have a motor in it, unless it has been added for keyless which was a dealer install optional accessory. It is more like an old 80s style "central locking" system. The driver door mechanism however will send a signal to everyone else on what to do in a master/slave relationship. So if you lock the driver door, it will lock all the doors. If you unlock the door, it will unlock all the doors. If you unlock/lock the passenger door, just the passenger door will unlock/lock because it has no authority to command the rest. Same for rears. You still have the center console switch, that controls effectively will tell everyone what to do, but really just the 3 doors cause the driver doesn't take commands.

I've encountered a similar problem on my T4 that your car has. I believe it has to do with how the driver door latch mechanism is adjusted. Also my door panel is tweaked so I think it is pressing it out of alignment weird. The act of moving the door handle is somehow bumping the lock just enough that the car is like, alright it is time to lock, so it locks everyone's door, except the driver because although it may have bumped the lock, it didn't actually move the physical rod far enough to actually lock.

Another fun fact is the cars front doors won't shut locked. So if you lock the car, then close the door, the door will unlock upon closing. If you do this with the driver door, then once again it will send out the command to unlock all the doors. The alternative around this is close all the doors, then lock from the driver key ( or inside if you want to stuck in there lol), or you do it the old fashion way. Honestly I forgot about it for like 25 years because it has been forever since my family has owned a Japanese car old enough; but I was watching Mighty Car Mods Turbos and Temples 2 and someone made a comment about the JDM lock trick. Lock the doors then close the door while holding the handle up; stays locked. Some how holding the handle up interrupts the unlock mechanism.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Hah, that's funny that you mentioned the JDM lock trick. I completely forgot that I had stumbled on that method for another vehicle of mine a number of years back, but didn't know it was a universal thing. Tried it on this one and it works great. That will be a welcome change since I don't have keyless entry and it's tedious to lock it with the key every time I park. It also indeed will not close locked, as you mentioned. I can close the other doors locked and they'll stay locked, but not the driver door.

I'll have to take the door panel off and see what's going on with the locking mechanism, since it does sound similar to your T4 issue. The only difference is that I can't physically lock myself in the driver door, as pulling the handle springs the lock. Even on the occasional time it doesn't lock all the other doors in the process of opening the driver door, pulling the driver handle will always spring the driver lock even when locked. Hope it's an easy fix, but it never is...

161 - 175 of 175 Posts