Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to buy a JL audio 12W3 sub and I was wondering which one should I get...there are two kinds 2 ohm and 4 ohm. Also would this enclosure be good for the sub? I found it at sounddomain.com

sub enclosure

·
Registered
59 Posts
the size of your enclosure really depends on what kind of subs you get, they all come with a recommend box volume. You get the best sound if you use the right volume and port the box right. Ive seen a cheap set of jensen's sound a hell of alot better than a set of JL's just because of the box they were in.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
It depends what kind of amp you are running. If you have a really good amp high current I would suggest that you grab the 12w3d2 which would yield you the 1ohm load and pound the sub. If you have a regular amp Id just get a d4 and run it at 2ohms.

Stay sealed dont listen to these guys. ported will give you more bass yess but its not sound quality for of spl set up. In my opinion sealed sounds alot better for (1) 12"

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm getting a 600w kenwood amp, so should i get the 12w3d2? Koojo what do you have the 2 ohm or 4 ohm?

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Kenwood wouldn't be my first choice....

....but to each his own.

I doubt that any kenwood amp would be able to handle a 1ohm load. Get a d4 and run the coils in parallel to obtain a 2ohm load would be your bes t bet. If possible try to get a monoblock amplifier.

Monoblock is a single channel meant to run strictly bass.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Class D? Bring it on!

Yeah I'd go with a sealed box too. Better transient response usually.

·
Registered
138 Posts
kenwood isn't all that bad...very good for the price, reliable and it lasts long, i had one and loved it...

anyways, get the dual 2 ohm sub because your amp that your getting (probably the kac-829 or kac-729s) can only produce that 300w rms its rated at if it sees a 4 ohm load on it...which means running your 2 ohm dvc's in a series, and running your amp in bridged mode...

also, try looking into getting a jl prowedge 12w3, these are prefab loaded enclosures made by jl and spec'd around the sub...so these are probably the ultimate box' for a jl sub considering they know more about their own subs than anyone.

take note:

a dual 2 ohm speaker can either give a 1 ohm load (wired parrallel) or 4 ohm load (wired in a series)

a dual 4 ohm speaker can either give a 2 ohm load (wired parrallel) or a 8 ohm load (wired in a series)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would go with Kicker or Orion in a sealed box if you really want to bump. I have pioneers right now and if I could take them back for kickers or orion I would. I think they are priced similar to the subs your thinking of. My stereo guy has a set 12 inch freeair kicker subs built-in to the back seat of his volvo and they hit nice.

·
Registered
144 Posts
JL amps work nice with their subs. and go with a slot-ported box. my buddy got 2 12w0s in a slot port with a JL amp and they slam!! but not much sq

1 - 11 of 11 Posts