Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

These past few days I have noticed that my car makes a whining sound only when cold. I noticed it once at night and once in the morning. Do you know how some manual transmission cars sound when you put them in reverse and start to drive? That whining sound? That's what it kind of sounds like, but probably not as lound and has a little of a squeel to it. I know it is not my belts, because I have a squeeling due to my belts and that squeel is alot louder. This one is different and I have only heard it 2 times. One in the morning, when I first started the car for the day and another time late at night after the car has been sitting for a few hours.

When I first heard the whining I opened my hood and pulled the throttle cable a little to try and narrow it down. At first I thought it might be my alternator because I know I probably need to replace my bearing soon, but I listened by the alternator and it didn't sound like it was coming from there. For some reason, it sounded like it was coming from the intake manifold, throttle body or injector area, so I had no idea what it was. Keep in mind that I have only heard this noise twice and only after the car has been sitting for a few hours. Normally after I shut the car off and turn it back on and drive the noise is gone. Also, the noise is a lot more noticeable while driving. My car is a 99 G20 with 185,000 miles or so.

Thanks for any help you guys can give!!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would a starter only whine when the car has been sitting for a few hours? Because it whines more than squeels. Where is the starter located? Because it sounds like its coming from the back of the engine and I have only heard that whine twice.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
You're starter is in the back of your engine, but that would only make noise at startup, you said you hear the noise while driving....

The only sound I can think of that compares to your description of driving in reverse would be the throwout bearing loosing it's grease. Has your clutch been replaced recently? I forgot to grease that bearing on my 240 and had an irritating whine on cold mornings until the car warmed up and also during shifts.

That's all I can think of.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmmm...maybe the throwout bearing?? I haven't replaced my clutch yet, but I know it is starting to go out...in about 4th or 5th gear at higher rpms it starts to slip. I will replace it as soon as possible, but it'll have to wait till after Christmas..I check the ps fluid every so often and it seems fine. It is not leaking and appears to be clean (from what I see)..I doubt it is any of the accessory belts, because I also have a squeel due to the belts and that one is high pitch..this one isn't so high, but more of a whining/squeeling...and it happens as LoSt described it, but I don't really notice it when I am standing still. I start noticing it when I start to drive and with the radio either off or low. Weird thing is it never did this before or not that I know of. Does a throwout bearing lose it's grease over time? The original owner has put 183,000 miles on this car with the stock clutch. I want to replace it and hear people suggesting a B15 clutch, but what part number should I use for my 99 G20 so I can order it?

Thanks a lot guys!!!

·
Administrator
5,863 Posts
Its not your throwout bearing. Tighten your belts up a little and spray some belt lubricant on it.

Your throwout bearing wont ever make a noise like that.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
On my P10 the PS pump is starting to whine a bit, it has plenty of fluid but I think It's on it's way out, I'm sure that after being 13 yrs old it should be replaced. Thats the main reason I mentioned it. :smile: D

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, thanks for the info. guys! But does anyone know why this noise has only happened twice? And both times on cold starts...like I mentioned before I do have a squeeling due to the belts and I can tell the difference between that sound and this sound and they are both completely different. I need to tighten or check the belts anyways though, so I'll do that when I have time.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A little update...

This morning it did it again..so I stopped the car and put in neutral so I can listen to the sound. I noticed as I moved my steering wheel that the pitch of the sound changed, so now I am starting to think it is my PS pump. Thanks guys!!! are these expensive to replace?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the same problem, whenever I start the car in cold weather, I will try to turn the wheel to back up out of my parking spot and it makes a loud squeeking sound. The sound will go away once I have the car on for about a minute or two, but I am too impatient to wait till it actually warms up. I don't see anything wrong with this, it is just annoying and I want it to go away. Is it doing any long term damage? What do I have to tighten, replace, or spray to make this noise go away?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I would agree with some of the others, it is your power steering pump. If you have never changed the fluid, this might be the problem. The easy way is get a turkey baster and with the engine off, suck all the fluid out of the reservoir and refill with new fluid to the proper level. Do this everyday after you have driven the car. Do it three times after the initial change.
Once you have sucked out the fluid and replaced it four times, you will have essentially replaced all of the PS fluid.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The squeeling when cold actually went away. All I did was pour some Dexron 3 ATF fluid, and now it only squeels at a complete stop when I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left/right. I don't get it though..my PS fluid did look a little low, but I could still see it in the reservoir..either way the point is the extra fluid made my squeel go away! :cheese:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts