Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear an audible (but cool souunding) whistle when im WOT and above 4k rpm, all the way to 7.5 redline. The whistle isn't extremely loud, but audible by other drivers (my friend also heard it)

Could it just be whistle by the wind in my airbox? (i have k/n drop in filter)

Was thinking maybe its just my timing chain tensioner that needs to be changed?

No idea. =\ (It also only happens when im in gear, if im in neutral and rev it, nothing.) Maybe something with my transmission assembly? Clutch or something.....? Flywheel was resurfaced not too long ago, maybe something went wrong.......

-Phil

·
Registered
222 Posts
hmm

i have a similar problem see if you have all your clips on your airbox im missing one and havent gotten around to replaceing it , the wistle is a sucking somewhere in the intake only under hard vaccum if you are at wot from a stop this would be a big load for the engine thus more vaccum vs reving it under a no load condtion such as in nutral and little vaccum , so check those clips for me and tell me if one is missing cuz thatll seal the deal for me on my G with its wistle. if its not the clips then check all those hoses and there clamps like the one that goes to the airbox espiclly that accoridon area is a nasty area to crack open on you had it happen to me several times .

wont have my airbox tubeing too much longer as that will be replaced with pipeing to the turbo hehehe

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
My car used to ALWAYS have the whistle, even when barely throttling it. I doubt it was the airbox cuz the sound came from the LEFT side of the engine bay *when facing the car from the front* and the airbox is on the right side. Even when I got the engine swap, the car still had the cool sounding whistle. I think it's actually in the throttle body itself... ;) I happened to like the sound.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same exact whistle (kinda sounds like a cricket) after 2nd gear on my '94. But when I get on the gas hard, it is no longer audible. Maybe cause the engine noise itself is drowning out the whistle? Has happened since I got the car in 1997.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Hey

Does your car make a loud pssssssssssssssst when you shut it off?

If so I have the solution. You have a vacuum leak

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
I dont know how safe this was but I used to run my civic's engine and spray WD40 over the vacuum hoses until I found my leak.

Im next to positive that you have a vacuum leak

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't think it is. That means I have had one for 5 years? The sound is more like that of a Jetsons car. I know that sounds funny but that is the best way I can describe it.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
It's a soft whistle right? And then when you brake to a stop, the whistle stops; it sounds almost like a really cool intake of some kind, right? That's how my car was. I miss my P10... :*(

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I'm no expert but yeah, I think it's in throttle itself. Just open it a little and the whistle kicks in. You can hear it windows up, windows down, speedin' on the freeway, or even just cruisin' down the street. It's the cool P10 sound ;) and as far as I know, it doesn't mean anything is wrong with your car. It's just... :p .

·
Registered
311 Posts
My old car used to do that, It was coming from the airbox and sounded hella cool. If mine does it now I don't think I'd hear it over the intake :)

FF Drifter: Slightly off topic... How goes the for a new car?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I'm waiting for a check from the insurance company. I've found some P10s, one AE86, and two or three potential Subaru Imprezas, but until I actually go out and flog the cars a bit, I can't be sure what I'll settle on. *hoping hoping*

·
Registered
453 Posts
...side comment...
hehe...maybe nissan didn't tell the Primera/G20 owners that they secretly dropped a small turbo onto the enigine that has a really cool whistling noise...revelation..it's a hint of what you can do to the car...iono...sorry if that was a bit tangent...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts