Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 94 g20. its had check engine light on since i got it with codes for EGR valve, knock sensor and o2 sensor. loud exhaust as well. so it runs a little rough but still gets me around. pulling onto the highway it didnt want to rev up so i floored it and when it finally let loose there was a bunch of white smoke coming out the back. i cautiously drove it while while watching the heat gauge to try and get to a parts store. it heated up but i stopped before it got to the max line. when i opened the hood i saw the radiator hose just hanging there unconnected. when i reconnected it the housing was cracked. rigged it up to attach further up and now it still drives about like it did before but i havent driven it far.
so i few ppl have said blown head gasket. i checked the compression on it today and i got 171, 171, 176, 176. the white smoke was bad right at first but then it went down to a little and now i dont notice any.
anything else that could be wrong other than engine block or head gasket? is there a test i can do to make sure its safe to drive??

thanks

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I think you need to get the O2 fixed as that will have an effect on the way it runs. Especially if it has it richened up. Takes a lot to blow a head gasket on the SR motors imo. Dont think its that.. might Do a leakdown test.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats what the obd said. last time i checked it it says knock, o2, and a spark plug. might have another unconnected issue with the spark, but there is a small ring of oil around one of the plugs on the inside threading. ordered o2 sensor and bought the knock sensor but now i cant get the old one off, because there is no room to get a socket onto it. im going to try a wrench and if that doesnt work i guess ill have to take off the intake and whatever else.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Excess pressure from you accelerating hard probably caused the hose to pop, the "white smoke" you saw was probably steam. I've had that happen to me before on my old Focus, i got in it hard and one of the coolant hoses just pooped, coolant hit the manifold and BAM steam! It looks like white smoke when you see it in your rear view.

·
G hoarder
2,322 Posts
^^ hes probably right and you got lucky. once your temp gauge is up to max the damage is probably already done. nissan temp gauges in the cluster are pretty much pointless: once it reads hot you will probably have much more serious problems. you probably have a bad t stat or a half plugged radiator if you popped a coolant hose, i would flush and replace the t stat while the coolant system is open.

·
Registered
811 Posts
From my experience, I have viewed about five "stages" in the OEM cluster thermostat/water temperature gauge and once you creep into the 4th one you should really re-evaluate what is going on or just turn off the engine to be safe.

I hope no serious damage was done. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
guess ill find out soon enough. need to put the intake back on and hopefully i wont need to replace the intake manifold gasket. its metal and got a little bent up. got the knock sensor replaced and need to do the o2 sensor (downstream) but i cant find it. i looked over the entire exhaust and i swear there is nothing there. is it possible the previous owner removed it? its supposed to be right next to the cat. i wonder if they put something different and bypassed it. can anyone post a pic of their downstream o2 sensor and cat?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.