Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering how much white smoke signifies a problem. My 1993.5 seems to have some whitish smoke off and on that I noticed today. It's cold and rainy here, and the car otherwise seems to be running ok. Should I basically check to see if there's oil in the coolant or vice versa?

·
Registered
430 Posts
check to see if coolant is getting into the combustion chamber. there are ways to do it easyest is a leak down test. set each piston to bdc and use a leaktester with shop air into the sparkplug whole and listen for air coming thu the oil, radiator, out the exhaust, and through the intake.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
yeah, that means that you have a coolant leak somewhere and it is getting inside of your engine.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
White smoke is normal on cold days with high humidity. The hot exhaust is condensating when it leaves the exhaust pipe. If you are nervous, just keep an eye on your coolant level.

·
'Luke'
5,319 Posts
jjacob said:
White smoke is normal on cold days with high humidity. The hot exhaust is condensating when it leaves the exhaust pipe. If you are nervous, just keep an eye on your coolant level.
Well, after the car warms up there should not be anymore smoke. If you are not confident about the matter, just keep an eye on the coolant and its color. If it becomes like milky, thsi already indicates problems. Have a compression check done too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Coolant

It's sunny and dry today and I don't see white smoke after it warms up. The coolant is also green and not milky at all, so I might have been a little paranoid.

·
Registered
430 Posts
yeah when its cold out older cars condense alot. my explorers till there warm they look like im burnin something. then it goes away.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
gomd3 is on point. it is normal to get white smoke while warming up and driveing for lil.
it is just the steam. this is unless you are consuming coolant. check if you are not than what you see is perfectly normal. if the smoke has a blue tint to it it will indicate oil consumption.

·
Registered
430 Posts
yeah it will have an odd smell almost like elmers glue or if the coolatn is old dead fish sometimes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks

Thanks, appreciate it. Maybe I'll start thinking about new motor mounts again.... Noticed the smoke when I was at the dealer picking up my motor blower resistor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts