Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been leasing my g20t for the past 3 years and was using the cheapest gas since I figured it didn't make a difference. Well, i now own that same g20 and wanted to know what you guys thought about levels of octane in gas.... Does it make a difference? Should I use the "good stuff" to counteract the lower quality gas I was using or does it not make a difference.. I'm in the US so that may differ the answer

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I HAD TO!

Who has really bad gas?
I did once when I went to Taco Hell and ate 3 bean burritos with tons of "FIRE" hot sauce. Whew! That was a smelly evening.

:p :lol: :lick: :cheeky:

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Re: I HAD TO!

NismoPC said:

I did once when I went to Taco Hell and ate 3 bean burritos with tons of "FIRE" hot sauce. Whew! That was a smelly evening.

Duuuuude, you so beat me to the punch!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Actually, I have had really crappy luck with BP Oil stations. The cars always seem to run like shit and the gas mileage is just horrible.

I generally use Shell, Sunoco, or Exxon/Mobil high octane.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The G20s are designed to run off of 87 octance, or the "cheap stuff" as you like to put it. =) So no harm done there.

I don't know how much truth there is to this, but depending on where you get your gas can make a difference. For instance, I generally stick with Texaco, Mobil and Chevron...and stay away from Diamond Shamrock.

Perhaps different companies add different additives?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Duuuuude, you so beat me to the punch!
Hehehe! I beat you! I beat you!

And there was another time I went to Don Pablos an ordered their fire beans and a beef chimichanga...

Then there was that time when I ate at Cozi-Mels and had one of there Beef and Bean Burritos...

Oh and that one time I stopped at Chipotles and had a Barbacua with the hot sauce and...

:D

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
j123vt99 said:
Well, i now own that same g20 and wanted to know what you guys thought about levels of octane in gas.... Does it make a difference? Should I use the "good stuff" to counteract the lower quality gas I was using or does it not make a difference.. I'm in the US so that may differ the answer
Octane doesn't necessarily equate to quality in gas. Different manufactures have different levels of quality. I don't know about your area but around here I stopped using Shell due to an independent test showing them having the highest levels of sulpher. Sunoco was the best. But it may be different where you live.

You really only need to get higher octane gas if you up your timing, get cams or turbo or the car requires it from tht lot.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Re: I HAD TO!

j123vt99 said:
I had been leasing my g20t for the past 3 years and was using the cheapest gas since I figured it didn't make a difference. Well, i now own that same g20 and wanted to know what you guys thought about levels of octane in gas.... Does it make a difference? Should I use the "good stuff" to counteract the lower quality gas I was using or does it not make a difference.. I'm in the US so that may differ the answer
The owner's manual says 87 octane. If you advance your timing past 16 degrees then you'll have to use 91-92 octane. There are some other mods that may force you to use higher octane as well. You may have to do a search to find out more on what octane gas to use. As for which brand, I use either Exxon, Chevron or Texaco.:)

NismoPC said:

:confused: Ummmm...Ok, thanks for letting us know.:) I'll make sure not to sit or stand too close to you if we ever hang out.:p

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Man, with a thread topic titled "Who has really bad gas", it was bound to end up this way.:-\
Oh well.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
gasoline is different!

There is a difference between different brands of 87 octane..

My mom's 85 Jetta kept having problems with fuel pump failure because she kept buying Citgo or no-name cheapie gas brand..

After 6 fuel pumps, I finally convinced my mom to buy either Mobil, Shell or Amoco gas.. she's had the same fuel pump for 8 years now since that change over.

I've been told that using cheap no-name or substandard brands means you'll be replacing your fuel injectors sooner (and they are not cheap!)...

What I've been told is the best to worst is as follows (although this is true for Chicagoland area, it may be different for other areas).

#1 - Amoco (now BP so I'm not sure if this is still true)
#2 - Mobil
#3 - Shell
#4 - Marathon
#5 - Citgo (I call it sheetgo 'cause it's given me problems in past)
#6 - Phillips 66 (about the same rate as Citgo I'm told)
#7 - Clark (nicknamed piss water by some around here)
#8 - #10 is everything else in the Chicagoland area..

Now we don't have some of the other stations that other areas of the country have like Texaco and Sinclair so I can't give an opinion on them... We also don't have Arco but used to... I think it came in right around #5 if I remember correctly.;)

·
Registered
218 Posts
So you're telling me that bad gasoline caused 6 fuel pump failures in your Mom's car? Sorry, but i'm not buying that. A fuel pump is basically just a small electric motor with a diaphram attached to it. The only way that gasoline could possibly damage a fuel pump is if it "ate it's way" through the diaphragm. Since fuel pump diaphragms are made of synthetic materials, this is almost impossible.

I'd say that the more likely reason for the fuel pump failures in your Mom's car is due to crappy build quality (Jettas are made using cheap labor in Mexico) and/or a mechanic that didn't know what he was doing.

I'd also like to know where you get your ranking information and what criteria that information was based on. Why was a certain company ranked lower than another? Did their octane not meet the ratings? Was there water in the gasoline? High concentrations of additives? What?

·
Registered
138 Posts
i stick with 87 octane from mobil, exxon, chevron and texaco...anything higher in octane is just a waste for our cars...just think of octane reading's as a knock preventer, if it don't knock then dont worry about it, if so go higher

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
o.k.

My mom's Jetta was NOT made in Mexico.. it is an 85 Jetta that is a Wolfsberg edition made in Germany.

The dealer told me point blank that the cheapo bad gas eats away at the gaskets and plastic parts around the fuel pump and the pieces got stuck in the pump and broke it... if this was not true, then it is a huge coincidence that buying 87 octane at other stations like Shell and Mobil since the last replacement has made a huge difference in that it has now been the same fuel pump with no issues.

But enough about my mom's Jetta..

Anyway... this 'rating' was an overall based on ANY gas and based partially on my own experience and partially what I remember reading in the Trib one day and partially what I was told by my mechanic based on the cars he had and the cars he saw at the dealer...

It has to do with many factors such as water mixed in along with cheaper additives or lack of other additives like what Mobil and Shell use...

If I can dig up the Trib article, I'll gladly post it here but it has been many years since I remember reading it.

Again.... this is only based on my own personal experience with gasoline in the Chicagoland area and cars I've owned or my family.. I don't know if the same holds true elsewhere in the country..

..so please take what I said with a grain of salt.. everyone will have their own opinion..

AND I only use 87 in my G20... it is stock and has no need for anything but 87...

:sleep:

·
Registered
429 Posts
I once heard

I heard that its better to use 89 cause it blows at a higher temp, 87 octane tends to blow when the piston(s) are still in the up-stroke, but anything higher then 89+ blows when the pistons are on the down-stroke helping push them instead of push against them....

Thats neither here nor there thou cause I am no expert bye far.

I use Texaco or Chevron.......

·
Registered
380 Posts
u might wanna stick to one brand also. going from one brand to the other might make your car work differently. but i only use exxon/mobil (same company)

·
Registered
20,839 Posts
Cue-Ball said:
So you're telling me that bad gasoline caused 6 fuel pump failures in your Mom's car? Sorry, but i'm not buying that.
I don't know about the G20, but on my Volvo, it wouldn't run unless it had perfect gas. One time I got gas in this really small gas station in the middle of nowhere and before I got home that car started to have intermitten problems. The gas was filled with something that cloged up the pump. I had to replace the fuel filter which only had 5k miles on it, and the first pump (of 2).

I believe you get what you pay for. So buy expensive gas like Cheveron or Texaco (which are now the same thing.)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Re: I once heard

Icudie said:
I heard that its better to use 89 cause it blows at a higher temp, 87 octane tends to blow when the piston(s) are still in the up-stroke, but anything higher then 89+ blows when the pistons are on the down-stroke helping push them instead of push against them....
You heard wrong. Higher octane is only needed to prevent detonation. Using gasoline with an octane rating higher than you require is a waste of money and can actually give you less power (because higher octane fuel burns more slowly, generating less power).

unless you have mods which require you to use higher octane (advanced timing, cams, etc), stick with 87 octane.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Re: o.k.

Chris said:
My mom's Jetta was NOT made in Mexico.. it is an 85 Jetta that is a Wolfsberg edition made in Germany.

The dealer told me point blank that the cheapo bad gas eats away at the gaskets and plastic parts around the fuel pump and the pieces got stuck in the pump and broke it... if this was not true, then it is a huge coincidence that buying 87 octane at other stations like Shell and Mobil since the last replacement has made a huge difference in that it has now been the same fuel pump with no issues.

Man. I thought those German engineers were smarter than that. I've never heard of any car having that sort of problem (even crappy American models :) ). Any gasket that is used in a fuel delivery system should be able to withstand anything you can throw at it. Gasoline is fairly corrosive, so most manufacturers use special o-rings for fuel systems. Apparently VW must use lower quality and/or less resistant gaskets and o-rings in their fuel pumps. Quite a shame really. I like their cars, but everyone i know who has owned one has had very poor reliability.

But i digress....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts