Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, who out there would love to get their hands on a P10 Factory Service Manual? I know I would, but they are hard to find, and I sure as hell dont feel like dropping $100+ at the dealer for a new one.

Well, this is what I was thinking last night. What if say, 10 of us all pitched in $10, and bought a brand new FSM from the dealer. I can afford $10 over $100. But then comes the problem of sharing the FSM with 10 people, in 10 different states. Well, what if we were to then take that brand new FSM, and scan each and every page, then organize all the scanned pages, and put them to a CD. That way, you have the full FSM, whenever you want. If you need a section, either view it on your PC, or print the pages you need. Then, once everyone who pitched in has their CD with the FSM on it, we could post the paper FSM on ebay, and donate the money it makes to G20.net. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Nissan already provides a CD version for years 2000 and newer. It cost a little more than the paper version, but then you wouldn't have to sit there and scan each and every page. It's already done for you.

Go here: http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/

But then again we all have P10's don't we. ARGH!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Okay, so how are we all gonna pitch in and get this scanned nice and neat? Who has a scanner, access to a dealer who'll sell an FSM, and can get the whole thing onto CD *it'd be best to get it done within a few weeks or so* Not only that, but who'll we trust with the doing all the above? I'd be more than willing to pitch in $10.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Yeah, only problem is that there are different FSM's for every year of the P10.

If all P10's had the same FSM, then I'd buy one. I'd scan all the pages and make CD's then charge $10 a copy. I'd make my money back and then some. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
What about copyright laws?

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
well...

I got a copy of a cd version of a factory manual for my other car and it kept crashing my computer and were some pretty piss poor scans... so I'd be leary of this in the first place.... unfortunately, the MFGR didn't offer it in anything but paperback version for over $300... oh well...

...I'm thankful my G20 had a factory manual in the trunk :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike.Com said:
Yeah, only problem is that there are different FSM's for every year of the P10.

If all P10's had the same FSM, then I'd buy one. I'd scan all the pages and make CD's then charge $10 a copy. I'd make my money back and then some. ;)

JustinP10 said:
What about copyright laws?

Okay, for this question, answer me this. What really changed between 1994 and 1996? What about 1991 and 1993?

Now with you charging for CD's, that is a big no no. I would not recommend that. When you purchase a copyrighted material, you have the right to create a backup copy, correct? Well, 10 of us buy a manual, we all have the right to create a backup copy.

As for who would do it, I have nothing but time, and I have sold plenty of stuff on the forums here, so I wont be running off anywhere.

Now for the format, I am not sure yet on what to do the format in. But Adobe Acrobat has been looking good. And the quality issue, I hate crap stuff also, so I am looking for nothing but the best.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
199 Posts
Okay, for this question, answer me this. What really changed between 1994 and 1996? What about 1991 and 1993?
I think this CD fsm is a good idea but it does have to address the differences. Some that come to mind are:

airbags- added in 93
motorized seatbelts- 91-92
spilt folding rear seats- added in 94
low port heads- 93.5 and newer
ABS system- don't know about other years but my 93 looks different from the picture of Geo's 91 featured in SCC
there are also differences in wiring that I can't recall right now

I know these differences because I have a 93 p10 but I bought the 92 FSM because the dealer said the 93 was not available. There are other differences but I can't remember them right now. I am just stating these differences because an FSM should show you every single detail of your car and there will be differences from year to year.

Joe:-\

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
actually...

there are really a lot of differences between 92 93 93.5 and 94.. and then again in 95 and 96 ...

I don't know them all much less know who would know them all.. My guess would be to get a copy of the different year manual and compare them page by page? Maybe some folks would consider loaning their manuals to you to do this comparison? I dunno though..

Some changes I know of between 92 93 and 94

..some 93.5s and by 94 there where the following updates:

- Improved motor mount (slightly different design for passanger side)
- Improved ABS unit (located in front passanger area of engine bay)
- Improved automatic tranny electriconic contol unit *don;t ask me what it does though... it was redesigned to be better and not as likely to short out..
-- I think we all know the cosmetic changes.. BUT also ...

there where changes in the stereo system... 93.5 had amps in doors in addion to the back panel speakers and the 94 got the factory CD player instead of the cassette...

...I know there were other changes too.. different tranny between 93 and 94 also... some 93.5s got the newer style while others did not...

...o.k. that is all I can think of right now...

:sleep: :surprised :smoke:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: actually...

Chris said:
there are really a lot of differences between 92 93 93.5 and 94.. and then again in 95 and 96 ...

I don't know them all much less know who would know them all.. My guess would be to get a copy of the different year manual and compare them page by page? Maybe some folks would consider loaning their manuals to you to do this comparison? I dunno though..

Some changes I know of between 92 93 and 94

..some 93.5s and by 94 there where the following updates:

- Improved motor mount (slightly different design for passanger side)
- Improved ABS unit (located in front passanger area of engine bay)
- Improved automatic tranny electriconic contol unit *don;t ask me what it does though... it was redesigned to be better and not as likely to short out..
-- I think we all know the cosmetic changes.. BUT also ...

there where changes in the stereo system... 93.5 had amps in doors in addion to the back panel speakers and the 94 got the factory CD player instead of the cassette...

...I know there were other changes too.. different tranny between 93 and 94 also... some 93.5s got the newer style while others did not...

...o.k. that is all I can think of right now...

:sleep: :surprised :smoke:

Okay, fine then. Who with a 94' wants a CD FSM?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have the P11-144 Service Manual in PDF Format, it came from nissan UK and its great, I know you are after a P10 one so I will try and get one of those too, I'll let you know if I have any joy with my guy at nissan.

Kev

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
kbslacker said:

Well, this is what I was thinking last night. What if say, 10 of us all pitched in $10, and bought a brand new FSM from the dealer. I can afford $10 over $100.
That is perfectly fine.

kbslacker said:

But then comes the problem of sharing the FSM with 10 people, in 10 different states. Well, what if we were to then take that brand new FSM, and scan each and every page, then organize all the scanned pages, and put them to a CD. That way, you have the full FSM, whenever you want. If you need a section, either view it on your PC, or print the pages you need.
That is totally illegal. You are violating copyright laws and mass producing counterfeit FSM's.

kbslacker said:

Then, once everyone who pitched in has their CD with the FSM on it, we could post the paper FSM on ebay...
Even worse, now you're talking of committing fraud.

kbslacker said:
...and donate the money it makes to G20.net. What do you guys think?
No thank you. The last thing G20.net needs is to accept money funded from illegal/fraudulent activity.

kbslacker said:

When you purchase a copyrighted material, you have the right to create a backup copy, correct?
Not in all cases. If fact, not really at all. There is no law that states that you are allowed to make a duplicate of any copyrighted material for your own use.

In a court, should you ever come before one, you can (in most cases) get away with making one copy for personal use for the sake of "preserving" the original, however, once you sell the original you no longer have a legal right to keep the copy and it must be destroyed.

kbslacker said:

Well, 10 of us buy a manual, we all have the right to create a backup copy.
Thats just it, 10 of you are not buying a manual. You are buying one manual, making 10 (or more) copies of it and then selling the original!

I hope you understand, but I can't let you organize such a thing here. What you wish to do privately is your own business, but I can't let this thread continue...

::Thread Closed::

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.