Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHY is the g20 so popular ? I must admit I own 2 myself--92 and 93.5 What's your opinion?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Personally, I believe the G20 is so popular (not as popular as it should have been which reflects in the low number of sales) because it's not only the most affordable entry class Japanese luxury car (over Lexus and Acura - minus the Integra/RSX) but it has just as much style as the other two. It's popular over BMW, Mercedes, etc. entry class automobiles not only because of affordability but also lower maintaince costs and (I think) insurance costs. If Infiniti/Nissan had produced a coupe version of the G20, I think it would have sold a lot better.
While critics will argue that the stock G20 is low in performance, the SR20DE engine is very strong and open to many performance enhancing options.
Also, now more than ever the G20 has become a rare car (unfortunately due to low sales) with rarer aspects like the Maui Blue option. Meaning when you take your brand new G20 out, you won't have to see at least 20 or so other people driving the same exact car (such as the Integra, RSX, 3 Series, etc.).

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
well....

I'm not so sure it is so popular in the general public! It is VERY popular here (duh!) but most people still don't even know what it is... If you mention Infiniti, they may know the Q45 or J30 but most don't even know what a G20 is. I do wonder if the G20 will gain popularity as Infiniti gains more popularity though. Could our cars actually go up in value if this happens? You never know!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I know i got mine becasue of the deal the car guy gave me. He said in Tallahassee it is hard to get 5 speeds off the lot !?!
Who knew? But other than that I love the sound system, it is just amazing to me becasue the last thing i owned was a 69 Scout. I also just recently took my G on a road trip to New Orleans and it rode like a champ wiht five people plus camping stuff and guitars! Can you get more for 18K ?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Popular...

I would not call the G20 popular by any stretch of the imagination. I searched for a 94-96 t 5 speed for 3 months to finally get one within my area (200miles). I would describe the G as the best kept secret around in reliable, comfortable, affordable transportation. The performance/reliability of the Honda Accord and Acura Integra at a 30% discount with extra features you can't get on either of them. LSD, Premium sound, etc.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
lee756 said:
WHY is the g20 so popular ? I must admit I own 2 myself--92 and 93.5 What's your opinion?
:cheeky: Popular? Where? Certainly not in the USA. I wanted a G20 because it's NOT very popular. The way I see it, it's as reliable as a Lexus/Acura, as luxurious as a entry-level Mercedes/BMW, and the lack of popularity makes it a great deal for buyers. To me, it's the perfect entry-level, japanese euro-sedan. I think that given the G20's potential(engine and suspension wise), you can turn it into a Bimmer-Killer or Benz-burner. :monster: :monster: :monster:

That is, if you have the cash.;)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I think the G20 is such a great car because it's a great blend of things we love: the sporty SR20 engine series we can find in a Silvia, the suspension of a touring car, the luxury feel of higher end vehicles, and the backing of Nissan to boot. The G20/Primera is (the way I look at it) a car born in Japan, but raised and refined in Europe. When we get that kind of car here in the US, it's overlooked, but for the people who HAVE discovered it, it's a worth it's weight in gold. My G20's my treasure, and I don't like sharing....;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
I agree. I like my G20 because it ISN'T so popular. I can drive all day and never see another one. I love having the Inifiniti name and all the luxury it brings with it. At the same time, it's Japaneese which means it's more affordable than German cars, yet much more reliable than American cars. It's probably the best combination of performance, luxury, reliability, and economy.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Are they all P10's or are they a mix of G20 models? I can imagine that there would be more in the Chicago area. (That's where you're from, right?) When I'm home in Indianapolis I tend to see more, maybe 2 or 3 a day if I don't drive by the dealer. Where I'm working in Ohio there's not another G20 within a 100 mile radius. (That's a joke of course; they're out there, but I never see them.)

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
sort of...

I live north of Chicago (not in the city but the 'North Shore' they call it).. I see a pretty good mix of old and newer P11s.. but I guess it would be slightly more p11 models that I see... In my lot there is one other p10 (dark blue) and p11s.. but on my way to from work (and my time and route does vary a bit so I don't always see the same folks) I see a pretty good mix of G20s and a ton of I30s (ugly things).... BUT I guess I should say that I also routinely see things like Aston Martin, Porsche, Viper, Ferrari and other exotics because I drive through some ritzy areas on my way to work :cheeky:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've been up to North Shore a few times. It's a nice place. I will have to agree with you that the I30's aren't a very attractive car. Some might like it, but I think it has the aerodynamics of a brick. If I were to get something that size, it would definately be a BMW 5 series. The M5's are sweet, but they're a little out of my price range at the moment. Maybe I can sell a kidney and get one for my birthday.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
LOL

Keep your kidney!!! you may need it some day..

...and I've had a BMW before.. too expensive on maintenance.. you'd be too dissappointed in comparison to your G20... I speak from experience!!!

...at least the I35 looks a bit better... and the G35 better still (when compared to that I30 that seems so popular in my area) -- LOL

l8r

1 - 13 of 13 Posts