Discussion Starter #1
Got a question

First my set up
17.7 rims on 215 45 17 tires
D2 coilovers
Car sits maybe 1/2" off the tires
12" subwoofer box in trunk
full tank of gas

Now for the question I was making a left going around a cornor almost a hear pin but not quite and probally doing 35 to 40 mph and I got this feeling that the rearend was breaking loose. As soon as I thought that sure enough the rear started to kick out towards the passenger side. I mean a 90 degrees full wag of the tail kind of reminded me of something I wold do in my 180sx. I've driven this road numbers of time at this spead and you can safely do 50 - 60 mph in this little spot. luckliy no one was comming I was able to catch it and keep going. i've tried to duplicate this problem again however I can not. My question is there anything in my set up that might of played a part in this matter. I've looked over the car and only thing I can think of is that maybe one of the rear brakes is sticking. I don't know I mean I didn't hit the brakes but just a thought. My G can take a cornor I just wondering what would cause this to happen. Also dry road no rocks or oil on the pavement.

·
I'm Better Than Zohaib
1,024 Posts
that isn't hard to figure out.... its a FWD car... so when driving and having some acceleration there, then quickly taking your foot off the gas, it makes the car have something called lift off, and the weight transfers really fast to the front wheels taking the weight almost completely off the rear wheels. well when you turn at the same time as that, then it kicks out the back end a bit and the extra weight in your trunk doesn't help seeing as it takes the weight and keeps the momentum going in that general direction. thus you tail slid, you cant drift in a FWD car...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used drift for lack of a better word, I was still on the gas, with my car being that low I don't experience that much body roll or lift so that's what has me puzzled. Could my thoughts of a sticking rear brake have anything to do with this

Also IL is in the house grew up in Joliet

·
Farting this very moment
2,225 Posts
Gs dont have a lot of understeer stock, and with your suspension setup and extra weight in the back, that can easily happen.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Play around with damper stiffness and tire pressures. My Legacy understeers like mad on 35 psi all around, but when I pump up to 50 psi all around it's oversteer city. A lot of fun on the autocross course actually. :) Having a different damper stiffness in the front than in the back also contributes to over/understeer -- don't remember whether stiffer dampers mean more breaking loose on that end of the car or whether softer ones do. I think it is stiffer ones, as the car won't be able to conform to bumps as easily and you will lose full contact with the road on occasion.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Spring rates ?? Damping settings ??
The above shouldn't really make a difference though if you can't replicate the problem.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Edit: Nevermind you said you didn't hit the brakes, so I guess it wasn't trail-braking by accident...

Could just be the possible weight shift + road conditions

·
*BANNED FROM G20.NET*
4,911 Posts
oh I meant to say sand. :shifty: j/p I got lazy and didnt read the whole thing...MY BAD! :nervous:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Since you have taken this corner before at similar speeds, I would say that it was a freak occurance. More than likely you hit a small patch of loose gravel or some other liquid on the road.
If you made an abrupt steering manuever that you would normally not make, that could be it also.
I would not worry about it unless the car now feels different when cornering. Weight of speakers, etc. in rear would have not much effect. Dragging brakes would make the car pull to one side driving in a straight line.

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
don't trip you guys when i had balld tires on my g and it was lwoered i was actually drifitng. non of that plastis tray bs, i was drifting, my g is a T so maybe the lsd helps but if i had a video camera people would be shocked, tap the ebrake to get the car to smwing the back give gas and counter steer once you feel the car going the other way let go the gas and counter steer again, dump the gas, i bet it works beteer if you have a 5 spd. my was an auto and worked ok but i would have gotten better resulsts from 5spd. but only on wet surface i tried it on dry surface, its bs. but from experience i can tell you i can make a G drift.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
gtiru12 said:
don't trip you guys when i had balld tires on my g and it was lwoered i was actually drifitng. non of that plastis tray bs, i was drifting, my g is a T so maybe the lsd helps but if i had a video camera people would be shocked, tap the ebrake to get the car to smwing the back give gas and counter steer once you feel the car going the other way let go the gas and counter steer again, dump the gas, i bet it works beteer if you have a 5 spd. my was an auto and worked ok but i would have gotten better resulsts from 5spd. but only on wet surface i tried it on dry surface, its bs. but from experience i can tell you i can make a G drift.
I can't really afford to be paying £2500 ($4750) in fines per bald tyre so I'll take your word for it. I just hope that was in a closed off space and not on the streets...

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I don't want to start an argument or thread jack this even more but...

You can't 'drift' a FWD car. You can oversteer, but you can't drift. You can power slide with a loss of traction of all four wheels, but you can't drift.

If I read you right...

You started oversteering, basically the rear kicked out for you, you then countersteer'd and hit the gas, then your car swung out the other way (?)

That's called a snap-back. It's harder for FWD cars, but you can counter and gas enough to not snap-back, otherwise what you described was, oversteer, countered and gassed too much, snap-back, then counter and gas too much swirving back and forth. Also having the wheel turned completely and mashing the gas, you'll break something, believe me.

The only time snapping back would be something good would be for consecutive turns. Say a hard right then a hard left, trail brake or weight shift or e-brake into the right turn, have the rear kick out, and time it right, counter and gas too much, and have the car snap back for the left turn, then again do it wrong, you do a 180 before the left turn, or you snap back too much and enter the left turn before the apex and crash.

But personally, kicking it out is sometimes fun, but realistically, 95% of the time, gripping without a loss of traction will be faster, and oversteering to me, isn't worth the flat patches on your tires, or the risks, and IMO unless you're intentionally oversteering, gripping takes more skill to know the limits of your tires and your cars before you kick it out or start understeering.

gtiru12 said:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts