Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are the widest tires that can fit on a P10? I'd like to put some 225's. Can anyone cnfirm the largest? Thanks!

On my RX7, I have 225's in front and 275's in the rear. I'm guessing the P10 won't be able to swallow the same sizes. :p 225's all around my P10 would be perfect though.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have 215s right now and I think 225 would be too much. You're going to rub, either on the inside against the spring perch or on the outside against the fender. I had to roll up the fender to feep the rears from rubbing when going over bumps

Joe:-\

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
You should be able to run 215's, however you might even rub with 215's depending on the offset of your wheels :-\ With a 215 tire you're not going to have very much room at all to play with as far as offsets.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have 215's, and they barely fit in the rear.

http://nx2k.dynip.com/thumbs/G20_rear_suspension_after_rust/pages/Misc 011.htm

There is 1/4" of clearance between the tire and the strut, and about the same at the fender AFTER I rolled it a good bit. My Paradas are pretty wide for their size I think.

Up front there is plenty of room. I think a 225 will fit. Next time I need tires I'm going for some 225/40 drag radials up front, so I'll know if they fit or not. :)

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
and keep in mind...

wider tires mean less traction in the wet/rain/snow -- skinnier tires are better for that..

..but if you are just in dry.. o.k. then..

BUT keep in mind that fatter tires in front changes the steering response too!

...also keep in mind that fatter tires means more resistance translating to worse gas mileage

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info!

Since I have this thread up, can you guys tell me the correct offset for a rim holding a 215 tire. A 7 inch rim is wide enough right? Even though 17's look pimp, I'm going for 16's cause I don't want to lose any bit of acceleration from tire diameter and weight.

So my plan is for some 215/45/16's all around. Probably with Kumho's or maybe some Falken Azenis if im feeling spendy. ;)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: and keep in mind...

Chris said:

...also keep in mind that fatter tires means more resistance translating to worse gas mileage
You have a good point also. :-\

See here's the thing: after lowering the car with the Intrax and KYB AGX's, body roll was minimized and the car gained a lot more grip on turns. But the tires still lose grip quicker than I'd like. I'm looking for some grip so I can take turns at autocross and on mountain runs as fast as possible. I have 195/50/15's right now.

But now that I think about it, my real problem is that I bought shitty tires. I'm using General XP 2000 all around. They're bottom of the barrell tires so what should I expect huh? :-\ Maybe some Falken Azenis or Yokohama A032R in 205/50VR15 all around will do the trick huh? I know A032R's grip like a mofo being competition tires. I don't really feel like buying new rims anyway since these Saab rims work out perfectly. Not looking for any flashy rims.

Hah, yeah I think I'll do that. :p Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Chris said:
wider tires mean less traction in the wet/rain/snow -- skinnier tires are better for that..

..but if you are just in dry.. o.k. then..

How does a wider tire lose traction in the rain/wet? If the tread pattern is effective then a wider tire should provide more grip than a skinnier one, correct? Snow i think it all depends upon the tread design, and i have heard here that skinnier is better, but i never really understood why (I live in Arizona- no snow :p ).

As for the fatter tires = less gas mileage, I doubt you'd notice a difference between a 205 and a 215 tire, the difference is very minimal, if any.

I can check the offset on my wheels too (i want to say either 35 or 40), right now i'm running a 205-45-16 on them and there is enough clearance between them and the suspension to fit a 215, barely (i'm guessing). However, with a bigger tire like the falken azenis you may run into problems with a 215-45-16. The Azenis are a very beefy tire in their size. I have 195-60-14's on my stock wheels and they are very close to as wide as my 205-45-16 Nitto 555 tires. I'm gonna try the Azenis 215-45-16 tires next, but i might order one first, and test that wheel/tire setup on each corner as that tire will be both wider and taller than my current 16" tire.

·
Registered
194 Posts
JustinP10 said:
How does a wider tire lose traction in the rain/wet? If the tread pattern is effective then a wider tire should provide more grip than a skinnier one, correct? Snow i think it all depends upon the tread design, and i have heard here that skinnier is better, but i never really understood why (I live in Arizona- no snow :p ).

It's all a matter of pressure. Assume the weight of your car is constant no matter what size tire you have on. When you increase the area of the footprint of your car, you're spreading the same force over a larger area thereby decreasing pressure. When there is less pressure on you tread, it tends to act more like a ski over water/snow instead of cutting through. This is also known as hydroplaning when dealing with water. The tire can only make contact with the pavement if there is sufficient pressure to push it through the water or snow. Make sense? :smoke:

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
yup...

I was just gonna say that!! more tire, less weight to hold it down!... basic science stuff...

..also less resistance on a skinnier tire.. why do you think they use skinny tires in the front of drag cars anyway? They aren't as important as the back ones and skinnier means less resistance...

...and I agree that you probably wouldn't notice as much of a difference between 205 and 215 on gas mileage... but you might!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
I understand the physics behind the reasoning, but i just thought that our cars had enough weight behind them to hold down a 195-215 tire. Wouldn't tread design play a large factor in hydroplaning with a wider tire as well?

I don't know though, maybe I'm way off on this... I've just never had a problem yet, with my tires, I've found that the tread design plays a larger role in traction than size (since from largest to smallest is only 215-195?)

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
true test!

if you have the ability to drive both a 205 and 215 in very wet or snowy conditions, then you WILL notice the difference! ..this is true in ANY car.... but even more noticable in a rear wheel drive car (IE. Mustang or Corvette or Porsche)

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
What about the difference between a 195 and 205? I've done that in the rain and havn't noticed the 195's to be any advantage over the 205s, it's actually been the other way around?

·
Registered
201 Posts
it's always depressing to see a porsche or a nice car in the snow. here in colorado it has a tendency to be sunny in the morning and snowing at night which makes for some non-snow cars to be driven in the snow. i once saw a ferrari cruising around in december. couldn't believe it.

as for the wider tires and snow, everybody else has pretty much covered it. another thing or example for that matter is when you're driving in snow you drive in other people's tracks to get your tires on the pavement. wider tires mean you make your one track. this isn't really a problem in our discussion, but if you're driving a duelly truck then it's a problem. traction and the condition of your tire also make a huge difference. last winter i was riding around on old ass tires that were starting to get way down in thread. i slid all over the place, until i got my new tires.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Guys, you are splitting hairs. We're talking differences in sizes of 5-10 mm. C'mon. If you tell me you can "feel" the difference, then I think you are full of it. The basic premise is correct, yes, but we're talking big differences in tire size to be able to tell the difference. Justin is correct, with the small differences in sizes we have to choose from, tire quality and tread design play the biggest part.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
not really...

I can tell you from past experience in snow that I have noticed a difference going from a 205 summer tire to a 185 winter tire.. YOU can tell the difference!!! If you don't have to drive in a snowy area, you probably wouldn't ever notice the difference in the first place so go ahead and get whatever you want!

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
ALSO

I had a car with the same size winter tire and it wasn't as good as the downsize I changed over to the following winter...

AKA... my 225 BMW had 225 Winter tires but then I changed over to 205 winter and noticed a HUGE difference in handling/performance with winter snow/slush driving!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts