Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the question states, can you use a FWD SR20 in a RWD application?

I've searched a good amount and have come up with no definative answer.

Need some help with this. And of course everything can be done if you have enough time and money. Yes, I could start my own car company and build the exact car of my dreams if I had enough time and money. But lets keep this all within reason.

Thanks guys.

Gmac

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
Here are the major differences

FWD starter bolts through the block and trans, the RWD one just bolts to the transmission.
Most of the motor mount bolt holes on the RWD are present on the FWD ( not AWD) block.
Most of the Bellhousing bolts line up.
FWD distributor will not clear the firewall.
RWD S14 block/head has extra oil hole where FWD does not.

Basically you would have to cut out the starter mount on the FWD block, weld another tab for another bolt, then it would all pretty much fit. I am not 100% sure on the oil pan fitment though

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
The closest thing to a RWD sr20ve made was the S15 NA motor and or the S15 Autech DE. I have seen one RWD S15 SR20DE NA setup put down 180whp with just a header and cams. if you search, you can find the S14 NA SR20DE RWD setups for under $1000 complete

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are the major differences

FWD starter bolts through the block and trans, the RWD one just bolts to the transmission.
Most of the motor mount bolt holes on the RWD are present on the FWD ( not AWD) block.
Most of the Bellhousing bolts line up.
FWD distributor will not clear the firewall.
RWD S14 block/head has extra oil hole where FWD does not.

Basically you would have to cut out the starter mount on the FWD block, weld another tab for another bolt, then it would all pretty much fit. I am not 100% sure on the oil pan fitment though
This is what I have and what i'm trying to do. Eventually I would like to scavenge the P11 into a Lotus/Caterham 7 kit car. That wont happen for proabably two years. But that will allow me to use the parts I need and the rest to sell off on this wonderful website.

So my biggest issue right now is the FWD SR20DE+T that I currently have in the car that I would want to use in a RWD configuration in this Locost7 setup.

Space isn't an issue, so the firewall isn't a concern. The concern is that extra hole that i've seen on the top right of the block/head. The oil pan and finally the starter.

I think the starter can be managed, though difficult, I think it can be done. That extra hole has me baffled. From what I've read the extra hole is only on the RWD engine and it runs all of the way through the head and into the block, while the FWD only has the hole in the head stopping/plugged at the block. Is this for ventilation/oil return? Not sure of it's purpose, but that makes me think that maybe there are other small details that I've overlooked between teh FWD/RWD setup that would create oil starvation or something along those lines if you used a FWD sr in a RWD setup.

Then of course the oilpans. I would assume they could be swapped either from the lower or upper pan, but I haven't seen this first hand. Doesn't seem anybody has any knowledge of it and I don't want to be the one to find out.

If I can't come up with the solution on paper ahead of time, then I'll be scrapping this whole project and lean towards a drivetrain that has been used in abundance like the miata.

Thanks for the help guys. This has had me baffled for a while now, I just can't seem to find the resources online to figure this one out.

Gmac

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
honestly it is not worth the hastle. It is cheaper and easier to just get a RWD block. you can find S13 blocks for sale for $50.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
No point, because in addition to all the stuff listed above, you are still stuck with an intake manifold that points the wrong way.

-alex

·
Registered
599 Posts
just think of it this way.... if it was worth it people would be doing all damn day long.. but no one does it so there must be a good reason..

and if Snickers can find you a block for 50 bucks go with that because i have never seen 'em that cheap unless he is talking about KA's

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
just think of it this way.... if it was worth it people would be doing all damn day long.. but no one does it so there must be a good reason..

and if Snickers can find you a block for 50 bucks go with that because i have never seen 'em that cheap unless he is talking about KA's
Thats kind of how I think of it too... some times using what you have can just be more time consuming and costly.

I have 2 RWD SR blocks availble... if ya want one... come and get it... I think one needs an align bore though.

·
Registered
599 Posts
as soon as i get my house i might hit you up on that offer. i wanna build one just dont have a place to do it as of now. what area are you in?

sorry to thread jack btw

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
as soon as i get my house i might hit you up on that offer. i wanna build one just dont have a place to do it as of now. what area are you in?

sorry to thread jack btw
RWD parts arent really worth much to me because I dont do much 240 stuff. a lot of them s13 guys around here are broke. I got a complete S14 head setup, well ported out, all parts complete. Its just sitting around cause no one wants it.

I'm up in Seattle but Colin drives down there a few times a year. Once I get my P10 back together, I would probably road trip down there as well. The back wall of my garage is basically just shelves and shelves of good SR parts waiting to get a new home and be molested by someone... so if there's anything else you might need, let me know..

·
Pining for "DMSentra"
5,558 Posts
RWD parts arent really worth much to me because I dont do much 240 stuff. a lot of them s13 guys around here are broke. I got a complete S14 head setup, well ported out, all parts complete. Its just sitting around cause no one wants it.

I'm up in Seattle but Colin drives down there a few times a year. Once I get my P10 back together, I would probably road trip down there as well. The back wall of my garage is basically just shelves and shelves of good SR parts waiting to get a new home and be molested by someone... so if there's anything else you might need, let me know..
I'll vouch for that!:)

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
why don't you juse use the VE head on a DET RWD block then.
"it's all the rage now" lol
Why don't I just use my entire built SR20DET? That's the first question. If that doesn't pan out, i'll answer yours.

if u are planing to put it in a M.R car like a lotus
Lotus7, Front mounted longitudinally engine, RWD. Keeping it simple.

honestly it is not worth the hastle. It is cheaper and easier to just get a RWD block. you can find S13 blocks for sale for $50.
That's what it's looking like. Though I don't know anywhere to get a SR20 block for $50, excluding you. And shipping from WA to NY isn't going to be pretty.

If you have fab skills it can be done: http://www.sr20-forum.com/vvl/19632-ve-block-rwd-trans.html

Rwd trans on a fwd block:

This is not my work, just sharing.
Thank you very much. I've searched and searched and have had the hardest time nailing this down, due to comments like it wont fit, the intake manifold will be the wrong way, etc.

No point, because in addition to all the stuff listed above, you are still stuck with an intake manifold that points the wrong way.

-alex
Define wrong way? If i'm building the chassis and custom building everything that goes on this car from the frame up, what is the right way?

Thanks for all of the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Gmac

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
One thing I always suggest to people is to just buy a RWD NA SR20DE setup. they can be found COMPLETE for in the $750-800 range and that includes the trans, driveshaft, ECU, harness, complete engine and all.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts