Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The windshield washer pump on my wifes P11 seems to have took a dump. I followed the tubing to find what appears to be a pump hidden behind the fender. Does not look easy to get at.

Has this happened to anyone else. Is there a fuse I could check before tearing into the car.

I would appreciate any help in this matter.. It just started snowing in my area and she is freaking out since she can not spray her winshield while driving.

Thanks

Chris

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts

Looks like its part of the resovoir to me ....... This is what I found last time I had my bumper off

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
That's exactly where it's located. And it just pressed in with a very tight fitting rubber gasket. I replaced one on my Altima awhile back. What ends up happening is that mositure/ condensation corrodes out the motor over time. If you can be the car up on ramps, you should be able to easily get access to it. For my Altima, I didn't even have to do that. I just turned the front wheels all the way to the left, and it gave me the clearance to pull away the front right fender liner and I had access. Hope that helps! Oh yeah, for what these things cost, buy it new. $15.33 from everythingG20.com (Item 18). While you are it, maybe replace the rubber grommet/gasket as well (about $3.48) (Item 19)

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=55&chapter=ARA3816&appSectionid=2580&groupid=51864&subgroupid=2596&componentid=0&make=14&model=G20&year=2001&graphicID=3816270&callout=18&catalogid=2

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
techn0 said:
The windshield washer pump on my wifes P11 seems to have took a dump. I followed the tubing to find what appears to be a pump hidden behind the fender. Does not look easy to get at.

Has this happened to anyone else. Is there a fuse I could check before tearing into the car.

I would appreciate any help in this matter.. It just started snowing in my area and she is freaking out since she can not spray her winshield while driving.

Thanks

Chris
It may just be you washer fluid is frozen... I hope you used winter anti-freeze washer fluid. If not, your gonna have to wait it out... Warmer weather. It happened to me b4, and I was hoeing it wasn't the pump. :-\

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
ERIKbronx said:
It may just be you washer fluid is frozen... I hope you used winter anti-freeze washer fluid. If not, your gonna have to wait it out... Warmer weather. It happened to me b4, and I was hoeing it wasn't the pump. :-\
Oops! That's right! I forgot about how this can happen too! LOL In actual fact, it happened to me last year! I got lazy and forgot to swap fluids, and the summer stuff froze!. I ended up adding hot water to the reservoir, let it sit for a bit, then I disconnected the hose (from the 'Y' connector that splits the fluid to the to nozzles on the hood) pointed it away from the car, and ran the pump for several 10-15 second bursts (I didn't want to run it continually for fear of burning it out) until all the summer fluid/hot water were gone. Then I refilled it with winter stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responces. I bought the car in texas and would have been still using what ever washer fluid that was in the car. We live in Iowa. A month or so ago I put some rain x fluid in it so I do not think it would have frozen. When I try and run the washer I do not hear a pump even trying to run so I am thinking there is a bad connection or it is a bad pump. What is all in valved with taking the bumper off to get to the tank/pump assembly shown in the picture above?

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Makes sense now. Hmmmm.... From what I recall having to wait til winter ended totally, before my pump magically starting to work gain. I don't know. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
techn0 said:
Thanks for all the responses. I bought the car in texas and would have been still using what ever washer fluid that was in the car. We live in Iowa. A month or so ago I put some rain x fluid in it so I do not think it would have frozen. When I try and run the washer I do not hear a pump even trying to run so I am thinking there is a bad connection or it is a bad pump. What is all in valved with taking the bumper off to get to the tank/pump assembly shown in the picture above?
It really depends on how much you added. IF it was only a bit, then there amount of regular washer fluid is enough to freeze. And it doesn't need to free solid, if it even gets like a slushy consistency, it's still not going to flow. Remember, it's a really tiny nozzle it going through. Also, the same symptoms you had I had with my car just a year ago. I couldn't hear the pump or anything for that matter. Only after I added the hot water and let it sit for a bit, did it start flowing again. Also even though the car is int he garage, if it sits long enough it'll get cold enough to freeze up. Why not try the simple test first by adding hot water and trying it out. Best case it'll fix the issue the only cost is to flush out the summer fluid and replace it with winter fluid. This is the simplest and cheapest test to perform before you spend any $$ on a pump and the time to get access to the current pump.

Like I said in my earlier thread. All you need to do is get the car up on ramps (or a hoist if you've got a good friend/mechanic) to be able to to access the reservoir and the pump. Then it's a simple matter of pulling the pump out Remember it's held in tight with a rubber gasket/grommet (similar to how the PCV valve is held in), disconnect/unplug the wire harness plugged into the old pump, install the new pump reconnect the wire harness, and you're done! Well not completely, you need to reinstall all the screws and/or clips you removed to pull away the front passenger fender liner and/or the lower plastic shield under the car (front passenger side corner). Like I said, I changed the one in my Altima in my driveway without having to even lift up that corner of the car. With the car parked, I just had the front wheels turned all the way to the left so that I could easily get access to the wheel liner. I removed the clips/screws, pulled back the liner, and there it was. A 10 minute job.

EDIT: For the record, I tried searching my FSM so that I could pull the pages showing you how to replace the washer pump, but I can't seem to find it anywhere! I swaer, these FSM's alot of times do not explain how to repair/replace alot of stuff! Augh! :-\

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
About a week ago it was in the 40s and sure enough it started to work and I had the wife pump quite a bit of fluid through the pump but as soon as it got cold again it stopped working.. I think next time it works for her I am going to have to pump everything out of the reservoir and start over with fresh low temp fluid. This is strange. Must be because the car came from texas though.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
techn0 said:
About a week ago it was in the 40s and sure enough it started to work and I had the wife pump quite a bit of fluid through the pump but as soon as it got cold again it stopped working.. I think next time it works for her I am going to have to pump everything out of the reservoir and start over with fresh low temp fluid. This is strange. Must be because the car came from texas though.
:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I didn't want to start a new topic for a short question:
Are there separate pumps for front and rear washers or just one? (Primera P11 GT -99)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hm, then what could be the cause of both not working? Fuses were ok... where to start looking then... When the weather is muddy it's not too great without the washer :S

1 - 15 of 15 Posts