Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 10" powered Bazooka (thanks Napakapa!). I'm going to install it tomorrow or this weekend, depending on time. Just curious what other people have used for a power source to the trunk.

I haven't really looked at how the stock Bose amp is powered, but i'm considering tapping into it's power source. Has anyone else done this? Any idea what the max number of amps the stock power supply to the stock amplifier can supply? Has anyone ever tried running an additional amp off the power supply for the stock amp?

For those of you who've run a power cable from the battery to trunk, where did you run the cable through the firewall? I haven't looked very closely but i can't imagine it's going to be easy to find a good spot in the firewall to run the wire. Did you guys have to drill your own hole or could you use something that's there stock?

Any tips would be appreciated. I'd like to put this new amp/sub in with the least amount of hassle.

·
"says here on your chart"
4,607 Posts
any amp that you run would need it's own power supply directly from the battery. i ran mine down the center of my car underneath the console. i ran it through the firewall using a pre-existing hole, i think it was the brake line, i forget now without looking at it. but you don't need to do any drilling. it's pretty easy though. you should be able to run your remote power cable from the one that leads to your existing amp

·
Registered
343 Posts
these stock amps that everyone goes on about? should I have one in my uk P11.... if so please let me know where!!!

Cheers.

Other than that.... Yeah you need a seperate power from the battery, I think P10 WRC's Answer should have covered all you need

Cheers
Kev

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To answer your question: The stock amp is under the rear deck between the two rear speakers.

As to running the power wire....

I want to run the wire directly from the battery, but couldn't find a hole anywhere in my firewall. Not sure how different the P10 is from the P11 in this regard, but the firewall seems to be sealed up very tightly with very few pass-throughs. I'm very hesitant to drill a hole through the firewall since there's so much stuff in there (heater lines, A/C lines, electrical wiring, brake lines, vent system, etc). I was just hoping someone who had wired up a P11 knew of a pre-drilled hole that i could use as a pass-through. I can drill through the firewall if i need to, but i would rather not.

·
"says here on your chart"
4,607 Posts
i just used the same hole that the break line was going through, it had a rubber gromet. i just pushed the wire inbetween the grommet and the metal, if that makes any sense. every car was holes that are there you just have to either push through or use a wire hager or something to pierce a hole through the grommet. i hope this helps

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yes the firewall in the G20 is probably one of the hardest I've worked on. My worst was a 91 Infinit M30 (still a Nissan product). Anyway. I ran my thick power wire through the same gromet that all of the stock wires are going. The ECU is located right in the middle of the dash so I pretty much had my 4-guage wire join that mess. I figured it was the easiest way for me to stay away from drilling. I wish I could show you the location, but it's burried. It's on the passenger side and deep, a little more than mid-way down the firewall.

You'll see a thick loom of wires going into a SOLID rubber piece. Just take a coat hanger (the universal tool for snaking wires) and puncture the rubber from under the hood, to the interior. It'll come out right behind where the blower is under the glove box. Don't push the hanger in too far or else it will follow it's way into a hollow part of the firewall and you won't find it.
First try to just feel for where it went. Then push it back out ever so slightly and re-align so it'll come back into the interior of the car just the way you want.
Once you got that, shove the hanger through. Now just wrap your power cable around it, tape it up EXTREMELY tight, and lube it up with some WD-40, or silicone lubricant (required because the hole from the hanger is DEFINITELY smaller than the power wire you plan on puttin in).
Lastly pull the hanger out from under the hood and you should be set. GOOD LUCK! I hope this helps. There might be an easier way but this is what I did for my P11.

Whatever you do, stay away from the stock 18AWG power wire the 100W bose runs off of. Unless that tube isn't very powerful.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip, rmj! I'll keep an eye out for that grommet when i wire the amp (maybe tonight). The sub is only 100w so i'll only be using 14ga wire. That should make it a little easier since i won't be working with 4ga or larger like normal.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
There is a little cloth tear-out on the drivers side underneath the dash. You have to tear it off and then drill out a hole.. But by drilling here you won't hit anything.
I chose this route because I didn't want to run power wire half-way across the engine bay.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just got a 10" powered Bazooka (thanks Napakapa!). I'm going to install it tomorrow or this weekend, depending on time. Just curious what other people have used for a power source to the trunk.
There is a little cloth tear-out on the drivers side underneath the dash. You have to tear it off and then drill out a hole.. But by drilling here you won't hit anything.
Thanks Grant, Hope you will like the bass that this bazooka produces. I did waht Frogg did, there is a little cloth above 12-15 in above the foot rest, you can tear it off. Then drill through there, that should be one easy route since it is also on the side of the battery. If you need help or you want to see pictures to see where I am talking about, email me.

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
yeah i think i did the same thing as rmjjensen, but instead of putting a hole through the rubber gromet i just pulled it off and then ran the power wire through it. But now i face the problem of air coming in the hole while driving :-\ . i think i might try frogg's way.

·
Registered
74 Posts
akuma810 said:
yeah i think i did the same thing as rmjjensen, but instead of putting a hole through the rubber gromet i just pulled it off and then ran the power wire through it. But now i face the problem of air coming in the hole while driving :-\ . i think i might try frogg's way.

I would worry about the wire rubbing on the metal and it causing a short more than anything else.

·
Registered
664 Posts
frogg said:
I chose this route because I didn't want to run power wire half-way across the engine bay.

Dam it! I wish I knew that. Oh well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used to do this for a living. If you have a five speed, find where the Clutch goes through the firewall. There is a rubber gromet there. Run the wire through that. That is what I was going to do with my but ended up having to make a hole for it. But if you own a 5 speed. Use the gromet for the clutch cable.

Ricky

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
I would worry about the wire rubbing on the metal and it causing a short more than anything else.
i have the plastic covers over the wire so hopefully it wont happen.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the tips guys! If it doesn't rain tonight i'm going to try to install the bazooka after work. Otherwise it will have to wait until this weekend, and the Tein install takes priority. :)

That fabric spot above the foot rest sounds like the best option. I'll see if i can find that spot when i do the install. I'll see about getting a rubber grommet for the hole i drill as well. I wouldn't want to run anything electrical through the firewall without a grommet. That's just asking for a short.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts