Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, im driving along yesterday... almost home, i mean less then a mile. I hear this sort of womp womp womp. Im thinking, hmmm, wtf could this be, and then all of the sudden, BAM, my f'in steering goes, and im sliding off the side of the road. Im shaken but no one hit me on the way off the road. So, i get out. Asses the damage. I can clearly see that the tire was almost stuck up UNDER the car... The lower control arm bolt was gone, and the boot, and my axle is ripped in half. At this point im steaming.

I call a tow truck. Im less then a MILE from home, and it was 80 bucks to get her home. This is like the 4th tow ive had in the past few months. So they know me now.

Now im not even sure what all is damaged. Im frustrated, and in a dizzy, and just overall pissed that this happened. What could have caused this. Ive never done anything to the sus, besides put the rims on(yet). So it wasnt me that could have maybe left OFF the nut that goes onto that lower control arm bolt, cause if it was ripped off, dont you think it would be like stripped out, or missing threads? But its not, like there was never a nut on that bolt at all.

I know even busting just an axle does NOT do this, and make the tire go all crazy, and f*ck the tire and the rim all up. So now, im deemed imobile yet again. I just wanna shoot this car. Ive had it for not a freaking few months, and ive spent so much on fixing it. Now im buying a house and all that, im just throwing money at people. Feels wierd, but now this on top of everything DAMN IT~!!!!!!1111!!1!!!!1!1!

I am going to take off the other tire on the opposite side, and take a look, and try to compare and see if theres anything damaged.

Is there anything anyone would like to add, like check this, check that blah blah blah... Cause im about ready to just give up on this car, and part it out, and sell the VE. Not worth it anymore, Ill just go buy a gcoupe and be done with it. I LOVE to work on cars, but im so immersed in getting my life together that this is just a big big pain in my ass.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the one closest to the outside of the car.... that holds the hub on- the one with the cotter pin... Now ive been everywhere and cant find an axle for it. ABS non-LSD all day long, but LSD aint happening. Not even Napa. Wow im pissed....

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh another thing is, that i can get this from autozone, but they asked about a double spline inboard joint, or a single, and was cluless. So i need to know this as well.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
It sounds like the ball joint failed, which caused the lower arm to drop and take out the axle. You will most likely have to replace the lower control arm (comes with a new ball joint attached). This part is available from any parts store (might have to wait a couple of days for it to come in), and should be reasonably inexpensive to install.
If the boots on the axle are torn up, but the rest of the axle seems OK, you can just relube them and put on new boots. Most members here seem to think that Raxles is the best place, if you have to replace it. They should be able to get you the exact axle you need overnite.
If indeed it was the ball joint that failed, you should replace the one on the other side also, as it is probably worn out also. This is not an uncommon part to wear out. On high mileage cars this part is routinely replaced.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info j. Seems to me this is probably what happened. So i need an axle, and a lower control arm. This is what i initially thought, and asked for at autozone, but i told her to hold off until i could better trouble shoot the damage. I will go ahead and do this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts