Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be doing an abnormal amount of commuting....probably at least 50 miles to work...so round trip would be about 100 miles a day.

I'm thinking if I get rims....wheels are heavier...less gas mileage...tires are more expensive? you think it's worth it? or keep my stock rims?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Call up Jeff at Dynamic Autosports and see what he says....I bet he will tell you to get performance upgrades rather than looking good...

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
fuzzynaval said:
I will be doing an abnormal amount of commuting....probably at least 50 miles to work...so round trip would be about 100 miles a day.

I'm thinking if I get rims....wheels are heavier...less gas mileage...tires are more expensive? you think it's worth it? or keep my stock rims?
That would depend on the weight of those rims and the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combo. I can't recall how much the stock rims weigh, but if you get rims lighter than stock you should be fine. And as for the tires, if you get tires that are a little bigger in diameter than stock then you may have an increase in mileage.
Of course, if gas mileage is an major issue, I'm sure you can get some engine mods that will make your car run more efficiently. A used JWT POP-charger intake (around $100) would be a good start.;)

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
well...

wheel weight combined with tire weight WILL have an affect on your horsepower and possibly gas mileage.... It has been proven that lighter wheels allow more horsepower so if you can afford the lightest wheels, you will notice a difference!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TY423 said:
Call up Jeff at Dynamic Autosports and see what he says....I bet he will tell you to get performance upgrades rather than looking good...
Man...you are talking about Mister Veilside ugly Eclipse that doesn't exist anymore? Hahaha....he has nothing to say about looks. Rims is one look no one complains about. He kept telling me turbo, turbo, turbo...cuz I think he said you were gonna turbo yours.

I already have the pop charger...and I was going to get everything for my suspension. Lower it, strut bar, sway bar. Just trying to think if rims would not be affective in my enormous drive that I will be doing....I say on estimate....600+ miles a week. probably more...

·
Registered
429 Posts
You know

say on estimate....600+ miles a week. probably more...
Screw rims I would get AAA+ first, if your going to be going traveling that much :)

Anyways, you can never go wrong with a good set of NON-Stock rims, lighter ones can even be considered a performance MOD (imho):monster:

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
haha i too recommend AAA, but yeah rims do lower ur gas milage depending on wat kind of rims u get. and like chris said, the lighter the rim the better. i would recommend u get rims, theyre a very nice mod.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: You know

AAA is my insurance company and I get free membership to their roadside assistance crap. I really really want to get some rims. I don't know how much the stock '02 Sport Rims weigh.

Icudie said:

Screw rims I would get AAA+ first, if your going to be going traveling that much :)

Anyways, you can never go wrong with a good set of NON-Stock rims, lighter ones can even be considered a performance MOD (imho):monster:
I want to go 18's from looking at everyone's mods and pictures, 18's look perfect. I guess I need to check the weight on all the rims. I don't know too much about rims....what is the average weight of a rim? what is considered light weight?

akuma810 said:
haha i too recommend AAA, but yeah rims do lower ur gas milage depending on wat kind of rims u get. and like chris said, the lighter the rim the better. i would recommend u get rims, theyre a very nice mod.

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
oh also, the bigger and heavier the rim, the worst your braking distant is, keep that in mind

·
Registered
476 Posts
if you're doing 600 miles a week on 18's you'll be spending some big bucks and not just on gas, cuz those tires are so expensive. if money ain't an issue go for the rims....asthetically they are such a big improvement.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah I realize those tires are killer on price. but that's only once in a while....so it's not too bad. gas would be more of the money killer.

Thanx for the input....I'll probably look into some volk performance rims. Was talking to this guy who can get me good a good deal on them.

As of right now...I'll stay stock, until I can get some more money...and make a better decision.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Wait why would he need AAA I thought that all Infiniti's come with lifetime road side assistance???

Hmmm stock rims are like 50 pounds or something a peice with tires cuz i had to weight htem cuz I'm selling mine. But mine are the '02 sport package rims...so don't know if that matters

My new wheels though they are 17s...and tires are 17s...but 40 versus 50s they seem and feel alot lighter

But I would recommend leaving off the rims and getting like advanced timing and a JWT pop like the other guys said.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chekmi21 said:
Wait why would he need AAA I thought that all Infiniti's come with lifetime road side assistance???

Hmmm stock rims are like 50 pounds or something a peice with tires cuz i had to weight htem cuz I'm selling mine. But mine are the '02 sport package rims...so don't know if that matters

My new wheels though they are 17s...and tires are 17s...but 40 versus 50s they seem and feel alot lighter

But I would recommend leaving off the rims and getting like advanced timing and a JWT pop like the other guys said.
Infiniti only has their roadside assitance for the length of the warranty. I have AAA so it doesn't concern me.

I have the 02 sport rims. I have the JWT pop charger, and the engine mods WILL come...but I am trying to set my suspension up first...and I want to have it with rims. .

·
Registered
130 Posts

I commute about 120 Miles a day on stock rims, have been doing it for about a year now. I probably get about 32 MPG highway. Thats not too bad.

I thought about rims also, but Im not ready to chip out 700 bucks for something that may only look good. Thats just my opinion. And of course, get some more air into your engine, preferably cold air. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts