Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay! here's my problem

i bought my 99' preowned g20T with a 5 speed (quite rare) ...i don't race it but i do love driving it fast... well when i first got it, there were no problems but about 2 weeks later i noticed that the rpm gauge was slipping... everytime i pressed the gas pedal, the rpm gauge would redline but the car would not accelerate ...is it the clutch or my tranny that makes it "slip"?... when i drive it slow the car no longer slips but as soon as i start "dogging it" i notice it slipping again

any explanation would be welcome

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Your clutch is toast! :( Same thing happend to a buddy of mine here in Toronto. His was so bad if he goosed the throttle even a bit it would slip just like you said.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
time to find a new clutch then, which also will also be my first aftermarket mod... any suggestions?

i know ACT makes some stuff for the g20 but i don't know if its worth it because i use my car daily and the ACT products seem like they are for extreme racing only...

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
G20Turbo said:
i know ACT makes some stuff for the g20 but i don't know if its worth it because i use my car daily and the ACT products seem like they are for extreme racing only...
I drove a 99 G20 with the ACT street/strip setup. It was very nice. I didn't notice the pedal feel being any heavier than normal. It grabbed nicely. If you don't plan on getting a bunch of mods I'd probably go with the JWT for now. Either one would be a good bet.

This is a good oppertunity to get a lightened flywheel too. :D

·
Registered
539 Posts
I like the ClutchMasters Stage 3 in my P11, Then again Stage 3 is also for 140% over stock, or something like that...

·
Registered
880 Posts
If you are really hard on your clutch then ACT is really your best bet. They can really take a beating and still not break. I know Kyle Davis (he really beats up his clutch) swears by his ACT clutch. It is his third clutch since stock. First was JWT, second was ClutchMasters, and his third and current one is the ACT. The ACT has now lasted him the longest of any of his previous clutches.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
I second that on the ACT, Kyle helped me install mine over a year ago, and it's still holding up fine. I'm not really that rough with mine, but I've taken it drag racing countless times and road racing too, and it still grabs nicely. The pedal feel on my car is also extremely light, I swear it's REALLY close to stock, but just with a shorter throw. I think the JWT is lighter than stock? I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an ACT Street disc/heavy duty pressure plate setup for the G20, at least from my experiences with the setup so far.

·
Registered
20,867 Posts
It is some sort of clutch problem. You may not need to get a new one though. Mine started to slip and I was worried that I needed to replace it. But when the dealer did my oil change, they told me it just need to be adjusted. Now it doesn't slip and feels a lot better.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys I haven't been keepin up with this post but just like trbobrk said... my clutch needed to get adjusted... I did this like 2 months ago and the car has been running perfectly since... I noticed it slipping once again because a buddy of mine took it for a spin and he burnt it alittle but its good once again... thanks for all the valuable input about the JWT, ACT, and clutchmasters products...I plan to get one in a couple of months or when my current clutch fails on me

Peace!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts