Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have searched and found info on advanced timing, but am curious what you guys have yours advanced to. i am having mine done on monday, and want some input. i found this on the sr20de site: 17 degrees if you want to run 89+ octane fuel and 15 degrees if you want to use standard 87 octane fuel. thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mine is at 19 btdc and I run 93 octane.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
I've run mine at 19 for over a year now, on 92 (and now 91 :depressed octane gas). I'm probalby going to kick it back o 17 degrees this summer (didn't last) just to be safe, as i don't fell like detonating due to the insane heat. (110+ :depressed ) I'd recommend 17 degrees, if you can make it to a dyno, maybe try 17 and 19 degrees and see which one works better for your car.

·
Registered
424 Posts
gdalton said:
Mine is at 19 btdc and I run 93 octane.
Small but signifcant correction....it should be 19 degrees to TDC, not BTDC!! At TDC, it's 0 degree. 180 degrees at BTDC and 90 & 270 is halfway through. All measure clockwise.

Mine is set at 19 and I run on 94 Sunoco gas. I haven't had anything less than 94 since I bought the car. So long your octane level is above what recommended for advanced timing angles.

I believe stock P11 is set at 15 with 91 octane being recommended fuel. I will eventually set it back for 17 when I acquire new cams.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
I had mine set at 17 running 91 octane...Ive since gone back down to 13-15 with the S3 cams......heheh...and it makes a BIG difference with those cams...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Mike Kojima says that 19* is optimal with stock internals and a stock ECU, and is fully compatible with 91 octane fuel. With 91 or better, SR20DEs (also according to him) aren't supposed to start knocking until over 21* of advance. If they start knocking lower than that, I'd bet you have bigger problems to deal with than a simple ignition advance problem.

Quick reminder; JWT N/A ECU upgrades do not like more than 15*! You may want to roll it at 17* and compare the charts, but they really don't like too much advance.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
CowboyDren said:
Mike Kojima says that 19* is optimal with stock internals and a stock ECU, and is fully compatible with 91 octane fuel. With 91 or better, SR20DEs (also according to him) aren't supposed to start knocking until over 21* of advance. If they start knocking lower than that, I'd bet you have bigger problems to deal with than a simple ignition advance problem.
19 netted me more on the dyno than 17 did. However, I have a HUGE problem with my engine... I live in Az and it gets hotter than hell (literally)! When ambient temps are 110+, I'd hate to see what the air temp is when it enters the motor.:eek: I think over the summer I'll kick it back to 15 degrees, run 87 octane and save some cash. Since it's really too hot to get on it anyways, might as well save some money. :-\

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'm a fruitloop, but I get so much better economy with the bump and premium fuel that I still wind up paying less for fuel on "hot." If I were you, I'd want to keep running a higher octane just to ward off detonation, but I'm not a chemical engineer, so don't listen to me. ;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
So hang on a minute.... you guys move UP to 94 octane?????? Damn, 95RON is the lowest grade we can get. And there was me wodering about using an octane booster on the 98RON stuff.

Seriously though, if an octane booster is used to take it up to, say, 105RON any suggestions on making the most of this?

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
xenobait said:
or Wondering even. Damn this sticky keyboard.
What are you doing that making the keyboard so sticky ? ...lol
You can't read Maxpower and surf the forum at the same time .. that chick Olivia demands too much attention ....

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
xenobait said:
So hang on a minute.... you guys move UP to 94 octane?????? Damn, 95RON is the lowest grade we can get. And there was me wodering about using an octane booster on the 98RON stuff.

Seriously though, if an octane booster is used to take it up to, say, 105RON any suggestions on making the most of this?
Our gas is rated as an average of Research and Motor. (RON+MON)/2 So there! ;)

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
Had 17* running 91 and sometimes 93 octane, gas prices are up so i put it back to stock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts