Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading your forum for a couple of months now and the information here are very informative. However, I need all of your expert advise.

Here is my situation:

My Auto 95 G20 (w/ 109,000 miles on it) is showing its age after 7 years of loyal service to me. I still like it a lot but it can definitely use some boost in the engine department.

I have 2 key problems on doing any mod: Installation and smog check.

Since I am not handy at doing engine mod, most of the mod needs to be done by someone else other than me. Does anyone have a good mechanic you can recommend to do mod in Orange County for my G20? Also, should I have the engine rebuilt in addition to adding mods on my existing engine?

I have also considered a SR20DET BB or SR20VE engine swap but I am worried after reading the horror story about SR20DEVELOPMENT. I am also concerned about the future maintainence and the smog issue. Again if someone can recommend a good mechanic and a friendly smog station in Orange County I would be deeply appreciated.

So under these circumstances, do you guys think that I should fix up my G20 or just get a new car (though I will be back on the monthly payment again). I figured it would cost at least $5k to get a nice paint job, new 17" wheels and tires, Stillen header, HotShot CAI, Underdrive pulley, Greddy MX exhaust plus installation cost. I could also use this amount as a down payment for something like a WRX instead.

Sorry about such a lengthy post.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm sure that virtually everyone on here will disagree with me, but i'd suggest you get a new(er) car. If your G20 was in really good shape or didn't have engine problems it would be worth fixing up and keeping. But if the engine is going south, and you don't have any mods on the car already (wheels, suspension, engine mods, etc) you're going to be pouring a lot of money in for not much return. You'll be better off spending that money towards something a little newer and more powerful. Not that you have to buy a NEW car, but something a few years old with under 50K miles and some mod potential would be a good choice.

Personally, i'd like to buy a 240SX, but there are a ton of cars out there that can be had for under $10K and will run like a top for years to come.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I doubt that modding an engine with so many miles is in your best interest. Seeing as to how you can do a swap and do nice things to your car, I'd suggest you do that if you still really feel you can live with your car for how many more years. Can you imagine yourself still driving that car for another five or six years? Or would you rather see yourself in that WRX?

In my honest opinion, I'm with Cue-Ball. Get a newER car (not necessarily a brand new car) that you can do mods to (if that's your thing) or simply get a brand new car that won't need much modding to make big power. That WRX suddenly sounds like a great idea.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your great advice! Cue-Ball and FF Drifter. You guys both have very good points.

I think I will go for the WRX. I test drove it last year when it first came out. As compared to my G20, it was a lot less refined (no sunroof, leather trim and it has a lot of road noise inside the cabin) but it has lots of power when rev over 3500 rpm.

I believe the price has come down quite a bit recently based on what I heard from other forum. I guess it is time to shop around.

In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy my G20 until I can find its new owner.....

Take care =)

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
..and don't forget...

take a look at the p11 g20.. the one's left at dealers right now can be had for a song compared to list price... I thought someone here from LA just got a new Sport for $18K with close to a $25K sticker.. that is a fantastic deal!

...you may be happy with the power of a WRX but that interior is nothing compared to an Infiniti... and can you live with that along with the extra noise in the cockpit?

When I drove the WRX I was very impressed with the exterior looks and handling of the car but extremely disappointed with the interior -- how it looked along with the fit and finish.. it just turned me completely away from the car!

...have you even considered the new P11 G20 by chance?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts