Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

441 - 452 of 452 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #442
honestly curt. i have no idea. mike had said he has something for me that i would like. everytime i talk to him on the phone i pretty much can't understand a word he says because he just knows to much for me to handle.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
It's not a bad idea, If your @ high miles, or if your experiencing timing chain clatter when you start your engine. Which my 1999 P11 had been doing prior to the install of my cams. It's a $70.00 OEM part thats relatively easy to replace while your under the valve cover swapping in your new cams.

I talked with mike. he said just change the gaskets and that it was unnecessary to change the whole tensioner.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #444
It's not a bad idea, If your @ high miles, or if your experiencing timing chain clatter when you start your engine. Which my 1999 P11 had been doing prior to the install of my cams. It's a $70.00 OEM part thats relatively easy to replace while your under the valve cover swapping in your new cams.
What do you mean by clatter?

·
'Luke'
5,319 Posts
Btw, new cams require a certain run-in period, in which you take special care. JWT has a description of how/what. That goes for any new cam, in my opinion. I don't think immediate dynoing is a good idea.

Such a pity that with the CVT I cannot do cams, since the lopey idle and such interferes with the ECM and smoothness of the CVT.

·
Questioning Answers
6,853 Posts
What do you mean by clatter?
chatter is like a ticking sound...ALL de's have valve chatter, but an older motor with a stretched chain & worn tensioner tends to chatter more.

also listen to loek...doing a dyno run after cams is not a good idea....

you gotta let your cams & rollers seat with eachother....think of it as a brake in period similar to a new clutch...

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #447
ha. this is my first car and it's auto... lol. but thanks steve i understand. they are used cams but i understand as well cams wear differently in every engine. therefore i wait till dyno.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Yep.... and minor chain clatter happens after your car has sat for a few hours ...so its normally heard on start up in the morning...that's when I would hear it. My P11 old tensioner wasn't broke like some engines that experience this and it doesnt happen to all SR20 engines either my P10 lowport never had this trouble. I still had the tensioner replaced then too when my S3's where installed. Also know that cam install can be tricky.

I watch as my resent install was little different from the 1st. Both where done by Nissan techs. The 2nd time I noticed Dave (the mechanic) turned the passenger side wheel to access the passenger side of the engine to get the cams set to TDC. He also displayed ways of removing slack from the chain...stuff I just would not know how to do immediately. Take your time.

chatter is like a ticking sound...ALL de's have valve chatter, but an older motor with a stretched chain & worn tensioner tends to chatter more.

also listen to loek...doing a dyno run after cams is not a good idea....

you gotta let your cams & rollers seat with eachother....think of it as a brake in period similar to a new clutch...

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #449
Will keep in mind. i have no idea what the plans are for the weekend and even if i am going to do it this weekend. got a stupid check engine code that came up

P1493

I shut it of and it might stay off for a little but comes back on. so i don't know what is up. any help?

·
'Luke'
5,319 Posts
The P1493 code is for the EVAP canister purge control valve or the EVAP canister purge control solenoid valve. Both parts are located in the engie compartment Before replacing any parts, make sure all the vacuum lines are clean.

441 - 452 of 452 Posts